Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:49 AM   #1

Default rapidly moving subject

Is there a digital camera that llets you follow the subject like a 35mm slr does? with good quality. right now I have a fuji finepix 4900. when I take a shot I can no longer see the subject.
dlhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2002, 11:39 AM   #2

The Oly 3020, 4040 and maybe others? have a continual focus mode.

Steve
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:43 PM   #3

It's a bit more complicated to answer. Any of the removable lens SLR digitals (D30, D60, D100, EOS-1D, DCS-760, DCS-720x, S1, S2, etc.) are virtually identical because you are looking through the lens just like in your film camera. This is also true of the Olympus E10/E20, Sony DKC-FP3, DSC-D700, DSC-D770.

Consumer digicams which have viewfinders rather than EVF (electronic viewfinders) such as the Nikon CP series or many of the Olympus models let you keep your eye on the target because they are not looking through the lens, but rather simulating what the lens sees so are not "blacked" out when the shutter operates.

The EVF cameras loose the image for a brief period as the shot is taken - all do. This is also true when using the LCD, but the refresh rate is better and recovery a bit quicker. One workaround is to create a little wire square "sight" and screw it to the tripod mount. Bend it until it approximates the actual view from the desired camera hold position and simply frame with it and forget the EVF and LCD.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 1:28 PM   #4

Lin,
where would or would not the E-100 RS fit into all this? Also check U2U
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 2:00 PM   #5

With the E-100RS, the focus, white balance and exposure are locked on the first half press of the shutter, so you will only see that image while the camera is cranking out 15 frames per second. In the EVF you see a little gas gage type indicator which shows relatively the remaining time before the buffer is filled. Since things are going so fast, there is no way to refresh between shots so they don't even try. Actually it works pretty well!

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2002, 10:13 PM   #6

With the Olympus Cxxxx models, (and E-10,20) you can pan and follow through using the optical viewfinder. Just focus and lock as you are panning. If you are tracking smoothly, it will focus well. Or, depending on what you are shooting, you can prefocus at some point where the subject will be passing by. I did the focus-while-panning at a track meet, and got great shots of relay runners, with the background smoothly motion--blurred. Then used the prefocus method to get broadjumpers. I was using a C3000.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 10:41 AM   #7
lg

Default Action pics

Here's a link to some Olympus C-2100 Action Pics. There are two separate drive modes that are available for this camera. The first (examples in the pics linked) locks focus on the first frame, and keeps the same focus throughout the sequence. The second autofocuses for each frame captured. The trade-off is that it takes a little longer to autofocus on each frame, and you can't quite get 1.7 fps if you use AF Drive mode.

The C-2100 has an EVF, and although the picture is interrupted briefly during shots, it's not distracting to me. It's quite similar to the brief blanking you get when the mirror flips up on a SLR. However, if you exceed the buffer (about 5 shots in the example above), the screen will go completely black for a few seconds while the pics are written to disk.

I hope this is helpful!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 7:49 PM   #8

Default thanks

Thanks for all the help. Lots of good ideas and possible thoughts on future camera purchase.
dlhorse is offline   Reply With Quote