Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:40 AM   #1

Default how do I take a flattering photo of an old person

I have been asked to take some photos of an elderly lady of 97. Im wondering how to get the best shot. I dont want to make her look like a hard old dragon. She is very wrinkley . What would be a good setting to take the shot in?????
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:16 AM   #2

There are others here with more experience and knowledge, but right off the top of my head, I'd suggest using soft lighting, making sure there's more than just one light source. A single light source is likely to accentuate the wrinkles. In post processing, you can always remove a few of the wrinkles--though certainly not all. You can use the Clone tool to soften any really harsh wrinkles, using the Fade command to lend subtlety.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:02 AM   #3

As bcoultry says, pay attention to the lighting. Look for lighting that casts the fewest shadows. Outdoors on a heavily overcast day or in fairly deep shade (or both) will avoid wrinkles casting deep shadows.

There are all kinds of post porcessing techniques you can (and probably will) try, but any of them will be better/easier with good intial lighting.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 1:44 PM   #4

Soft light is a good approach, also some diffusion, even quite a bit. Her sight won't likely be that great so even if she might take offence at the connotation of diffusion she probably won't notice it.

Old folks have "character" rather than what moany consider "beauty". This character in itself becomes a thing of beauty.

Maybe taking the shot from a bit less than full-face allows some freedom to make it more editoriial , by adding a favorite pastime into the image, such as knitting, or a pet.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 7:00 PM   #5

Tahnks, you've given me some Ideas. i have to do this today.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:07 AM   #6

First you need to figure out what your goal is. Do you want a picture using soft focus to show a kindly sweet grandmotherly type. . .or do you want to show a person who's lived a long life and their character shows in every wrinkle of their face.

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:22 AM   #7

In addition to what the others have said, a soft-focus lens might also help, if used judiciously.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:14 PM   #8

Download the free version of Neat Image. It does a great job of softening wrinkles without making the image look too soft. You have to mess with the settings as it isnít defaulted to remove wrinkles. http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

The diffused soft light that has been suggested is still necessary. If you cause shadows from the wrinkles there isnít much that will help.

There are tons of tutorials, actions and filters to create a soft focus effect. Run a search on Google for the image editor you use. Here is one for Photoshop and editors that take PS filters: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=006R87
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:35 PM   #9

Slipe, I just finished downloading both. My PS filter freak's heart is happy.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 3:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
My PS filter freak's heart is happy.
You can't have too much money or too many filters.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote