Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:16 PM   #1

Default Standing back and zooming in with telephoto vs. getting close with a 50mm

I was chatting with a photographer and showing him some of my recent food photos. I told him that I primarily use a 50 mm f1.8 lens. He thought my stuff looked really good but his main comment to me was to stand back and use a telephoto lens to zoom in and really show some detail. He said that showing a whole grill full of food is not as good as zooming and really showing the grill marks on just a few pieces of food.

Ok, that makes sense.

But, isn't standing back and using a telephoto lens to zoom in the same as just getting closer with my nifty 50mm lens? My only concern is that my 70-300mm lens is pretty slow and I actually only bought it for daylight sports stuff. My 50 mm f1.8 lets me do food photos in pretty mediocre light inside. The 70-300mm lens requires some bright light.

So, isn't it the same thing: standing back and zooming in via telephoto vs. getting closer with a 50mm?

Thanks!
John
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:32 PM   #2

See http://www.youtube.com/user/sGNL#p/u/46/-IHf6UwQC4s
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:56 PM   #3

Given that you have a 50mm f/1.8 lens,I would say that yes,you can more or less get the same effect by moving in closer- also any depth of field advantages of using a zoom lens are equalized by the "fast 50"... you can also avoid camera shake by using the faster shutter speeds on offer with the "fast 50"
A standard 70-300mm would be pretty ineffective indoors,however,a faster zoom lens(say a 28-70 f/2.8- more than long enough for intimate indoor work) would let you stand a little further away and you would avoid causing potential problems with your own shadow.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:01 AM   #4

Ok, so it seems to me that using my 70-300 zoom would not give me any benefits other than being able to stand back. It would, however, destroy my indoor photography ability.

I think the guy was more concerned with me standing face over a hot grill, so he suggested standing back so I don't melt the camera. But that's really not an issue.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:32 AM   #5

You don't want to use anything really long, and you don't want to use anything dim.

When he said to use a telephoto lens, I don't think your 70-300 was what he had in mind.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:42 AM   #6

I also would also be concerned about grease splatters on the 50mm and my face.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:29 AM   #7

With food, as with anything else, presentation is everything. Photograph the fully prepared food, on a plate, ready to eat.

Don't photograph the grill; don't photograph raw meat; don't photograph a sausage being made!

And don't photograph something with a bite out of it.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:55 AM   #8

I would worry about flame ups on the grill. I get some pretty good ones when I BBQ. Smoke may not be good for your optics. On the other hand, the 50mm f1.8 is inexpensive to replace.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 3:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
I would worry about flame ups on the grill. I get some pretty good ones when I BBQ. Smoke may not be good for your optics. On the other hand, the 50mm f1.8 is inexpensive to replace.
Agreed. In my grilling experience (which is a lot), I'm pretty comfortable with getting close. I don't have too many wild flare ups. And you're right - the lens is pretty darn cheap if I need to replace it. :-)

Thanks guys good suggestions. Tomorrow I'm grilling meatballs and I'm getting close in there to take some pics. I'll let you know how it turns out.

John
Old Nov 11, 2011, 5:53 PM   #10

Haven't seen the pictures yet, but I am already drooling.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote