Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:46 PM   #1

Default Lighted Memorial Night Photograph

I am attempting to get a night photograph of a 9/11 memorial which is three beams from tower two. The memorial is illuminated with sodium lamps and I have not had any success in eliminating a bright area on the beam where the lamps rays illuminate the beam. The rest of the beam is fine, just that one area is lousy. I am using a tripod mounted Cannon Rebel T1i with a Tamron 18-270 lens. I use RAW file format. I have tried various aperture and speed setting combinations and nothing helps. I have taken daylight photos, at sun rise and sunset, and they turn out great. The memorial looks great at night and I sure would love to capture that image. I would attach a photo except I trashed them because they were useless. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Dragonflyoh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:41 PM   #2

I suspect that the lighting is enough to exceed the dynamic range of your camera, and you may need to take a bracketed series of exposures ( -2 to +2 Ev) and combine them using HDR software. One exposure may be enough, if you avoid blowing out the highlights, if you use Martin Sykes' AutoHDR free program. Check the HDR forum for more info. Would love to see the results.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:50 AM   #3

I appreciate the help. I will do some reading on HDR, wait for the sun to set and and post the results.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:05 AM   #4

It took a few trials to get a photo that looks just like the memorial. Used 7 photos at f/4.0, ISO 100, and speed from .6 to 2.5 sec. I used Photomatrix to combine the photos. I have a number of trials left to combine to see if I like the results more than the enclosed picture. Thanks for the support. I did find out my camera has a lot of capability I have never used and that will probably get me in a situation or two with my better half.
Again thanks for the help.
Jim
Attached Images