Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:35 PM   #1

Default Greeting card/note card maker

I have some interesting shots from my Panasonic FZ35, taken over the 2011 year. We wish to make note cards for friends as gifts.

I can send off the images to Shutterfly and have them make the 4X5 card, or I can have them done at a local print shop (about half the cost). I need to prepare a file for the print shop, and am asking about what software to use.

I only want front and back, with a blank inside. The size will be 5 1/2 X 4 1/4 (half a standard 8 1/2 X 11 sheet). I want a full bleed image on the front, and then something on the back (name, year, description).

Do I need Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 (or 10)? I've looked at a tutorial, and it says only: (1) send to Kodak, (2) send to Shutterfly, (3) Print in your own printer.

Questions:
1. Can I make a card with Elements, image on the one half of the card, and text on the other half (text upside down)?
2. Can this be output, to be e-mailed, or sent via a CD or thumb drive to the print shop?

Other suggestions for getting the .jpg file ready for a printer?

Thanks.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:56 PM   #2

G'day Roger

While Elements gives you the 'normal' stuff like photo organising + easy & full photo editing, it also does offer 'photo creations' using a variety of templates with a variety of sizes & shapes to try to satusfy your needs. I suggest you arm yourself with a cuppa and meander thru their options and have a sqwiz

Several other options are also-
> look up 'snapfish.com' by HP - they do a good on-line service too
> if your PC 'office' software has a half-decent graphics module [I use Open Office] then you can pop into the draw module, whack in the photo & a bit of text and create your own 1/2-page card and export it as a 1200dpi PDF for any print shop to print for you

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:58 PM   #3

I started using MS Publisher several years ago, and haven't really looked at other options. It is pretty easy to set up and use, but is now quite expensive, as it only seems to come as part of the professional Office package.
I have seen a number of stand-alone greeting card programs, some of which are freeware, so the cost to try them out isn't too bad.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 5:49 PM   #4

Default Cards

Contact Red River paper in dallas for all you need.
quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:00 PM   #5

Thanks to all with your responses. I have concluded I cannot do what I want with Photoshop Elements, just as suggested above. I have tried MS Word, but cannot get full bleed (it always seems to need margins). I cannot justify the cost of MS Office, just for Publisher. My goal at this time is to find a friend with Publisher and get some help in the layout.

The comments regarding the .jpg file are on target. I will work toward a .pdf file so that the text is handled properly.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:28 PM   #6

I've printed cards in Elements 9 by creating a blank page twice the size (IE 5 x8) and then dropping a picture onto the bottom half and the adding writing to appear on the back. The text can be rotated so that it will be the right way up when printed.

Cheers.
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:29 PM   #7

G'day Talylynn

Excellent idea - why didn't I think of that too :-(
Just change the canvas size & drop in an image - wow, how simple

Well done...
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote