Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:17 AM   #1

Default Support for Canon SX40 , cases, remote, more

The SX40 seems to be a winner of a camera for the season of 2011 -2012.

I have the SX40. I have no major concerns about its technology.
I'm overly pleased with it's technology.

What's lacking only needs help from handy users. We all need help.
So please post here (1).

We users need help with
1. Which cases to buy,
2. Which threaded adapters work well. And so on.

Other features that Canon has going , for the brand, is 'Magic Lantern'.
That's an after market firmware 'hack' which has excellent support.

My concern is whether the SX series will be supported.

I hoped this thread, or one like it,
would bring the SX40 into the hands of people afraid to try it or struggling
to choose it.

here's some faults it has.

a. No remote - I understand that it may be possible by adding a button from
the +5 volt (on the USB cord) to another wire in the USB cord) will allow remote
shots to be taken.

The feature would allow interval photos (intervalometer) and multiple shots to be taken.

As of now there's no remote for it nor is there a hardware or IR port to allow a remote to activate it.

b. The stereo microphones are fixed and have no external input. This is
not a major fault as 2 things are often done for this situation
1. Additional recorders are used and synchronizing is simple (everything
runs at the right speed now in 2011). The Zoom X2 and dozens of other
digital recorders are under $100 for 2 and 4 channels.

2. I think I can MAKE a slip on accessory so that external mics can feed
the on board microphones. Will they work well? I don't know. But I
believe that ear buds feeding the quality microphones will
2a. kill close in external noise
2b. add the ability to put sound right into the same recording
2c. avoid any lens noise (it's virtually nil now)

c. Choices for camera cases. Every camera needs a case. When users help
each other choose cases by soft or solid / padded it makes the time searching
much simpler.

Why I'm going to keep the SX40. The lens quality shots here at Steve's
shows excellent color .. a lack of chromatic aberration compared to cameras
of similar lens size (there are few) and cost. That's good and a reason to
keep the camera. I can depend upon the lens to give good color at any
setting.

Complaints - ergonomically it's not great. I find myself touching things and
making changes without intending. However every time I've bought a product
I never fail to make , for myself, physical changes. For example when I
bought a nice camera I put a small drop of 'Gorilla glue' type adhesive on
a button so that I could quickly find it and press it.

That kind of thing , I feel and believe, IS necessary when one is going to
keep and invest in their equipment. Other similar things I've done to equipment is this:

1. used a very hot point to 'mark' with a tiny rough spot a place on top of
a button (for example) so that I knew 'where I was'. The cosmetic effect
was nil. The tactile effect was useful and perfect. Remember.. that you're
buying a product TO USE.. not to admire and set on the shelf.

I intend, someday to have a blog, and share my years of technical experience
with 'things' and will be glad to try to find these posts and update them so
that any and everyone can feel confident that 'adjusting' your equipment is
a necessary part of 'being a xxxx' .. Enter the term into xxxx of what you
call yourself when you pick up the equipment.

There's NO rule saying companies make equipement correctly. This is why
'CUSTOM' products cost more. and why 'CUSTOMIZED' is the correct word
for products you modify for your own personal standards. Be brave and
brazen.

I can't go into it here.. but it's your DUTY to God and Country to modify your
equipment so that you're happy with its feel and operation.

(1) if you have other sites that support the SX40 please rmember this
URL and come back here and post its location. Thank you!.

(2)
When I worked with the TRS-Model 100 laptop in 1982 the after market
groups are what made the TRS-Model 100 usable in the extreme. It out
'computed' the IBM XT and even AT which were 10x the price.
(Club 100 is still around 30 years later)
http://www.club100.org/

If you've read this far you have my admiration. If there's a better camera
than the SX40 to'invest time into at the $400 price point then I'd like to
hear about it.

The Fuji HS20 isn't in the same league. I've forgotten why I disqualified it
but there was no doubt it's not go the value or quality.

Here are other cameras at the $400+ price point. One reason, I think, the
SX40 is at $400 and others higher is the state of the YEN versus US Dollar
The YEN is strong and that allows the price of SX40 to be lower than Japanaese
cameras made in China.

I need help with this scenario (if you want to comment). I believe the Nikon
is made in China as are the other competitors on this page:
http://snapsort.com/cameras/Canon-SX40-competitors

It's a 'critical' time to buy .. we'll see prices fall and rise on the oddest things
over the next few months and then years. I can't say the SX40 is the best
choice because of price. I'm trying to 'make' it a good technical choice
based on the technology that I trust Canon to put into their products.

Please DO contribute to an SX40 thread here at Steve's Digicam.
Thank you

Andre Ferchau
California USA
AndreLikesPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:02 PM   #2

I am happy with my purchase of the SX40- but it's not perfect,by any means- there again,what is..? An external mic socket would have been nice,as would a remote socket. The omission or RAW capture might irk some and the design,from a handling perspective,is flawed. It's hard to pick up without switching on the "review" mode(though I'll get used to it..!),the viewfinder's not the best and I would prefer a proper,firm,sliding on-off switch also.
The things I like are its all round image quality- with very good high iso results for a camera in this class and sharp results throughout the zoom range. I've always liked the "pull up" flash of the S/SX series,the built in teleconverter has potential use,the image stabiliser is very good,the focusing is fast enough(though not FZ150 fast..!),the movie modes seem more than adequate(for me) and the overall build quality is good,with everything fitting quite well and firm. It's not quite as "business like" in appearance as the FZ150- more resembling something designed in a wind tunnel...
Ultimately though,I purchased this to take photos in a variety of situations with minimum of fuss and with good results- and it certainly does that....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:03 PM   #3

Hi Andre,

I noticed your post here and while it's some months old now, I find it an interesting thread, and thought I would add to it, since I've been looking for a case almost since I decided to go for an Sx40 HS. I was also surprised that the case they recommended to the camera and which was originally made for its predecessor is actually on the tight side according to some comments, and some also express the concern that it may be bad for the optics.

After searching a great deal, I at last narrowed down the possible cases to some models from LowePro, namely "Apex 110 AW" Rezo 110 AW", "Adventura 100" and "Quick Case 100"

I finally chose the Apex, as its a bit more roomy then the Rezo, and furthermore is more protected by it's rain cover than the Rezo, 97% to 75%. The Adventura, while I don't doubr its great for the purpose, it's a smaller backpack, with compartments for camera and various accessories. The Quick Case 100, on the other hand is a smaller case, much like the original leather cases to older cameras. In fact its made of leather/nylon. This case doesn't carry much more than the camera, but it seems to be quick in case you want to get your camera fast for a photo. When opening, you just let doen part of it, and you are able to use the camera immediately.

The Apex I chose, as far as I can judge from information in reviews and comments, has room for camera with lenshood, a couple of SD cards in the lid, spare batteries, cable, charger, and a couple of lenses. It's supplied with a shoulderstrap, but can also be carried in the belt. There are also two removable divideners which help to secure the camera while creating an adjacent space for accessories, and by placing one of them a bit from the bottom of the case, you can make sure that the camera won't take a direct hit if the bag is dropped, but is sort of "hanging" in the air.

Well, if you're interested I can tell more when I get the case (and camera) which should be during next week. Let me know if you are.

/T.J.

P.s. You seem to have an interesting idea, please let me know if you start a blog or do anything else regarding the SX40 HS.
T.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:21 AM   #4

Default Info about Apex 110 AW camera case

Hi T.J., I'm probably going to buy a Canon PowerShot SX40 HS just as you did some months ago, but I read in an Amazon customer review that K. R. stores a Canon SX40 HS in it, plus a lens cleaner pen, extra SD card, and the battery charger. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't store my camera strap attached to the camera. The bag is just barely too small for both to fit inside.
Do you agree with him or are you able to hold your camera with the strap inside the Apex 110?
Thank you very much,
Fabio from Milan
galbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:09 AM   #5

Default Thanks

Really sorry I took a long time to reply. i'll have a read and get back to the thread asap.
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
Hi Andre,

I noticed your post here and while it's some months old now, I find it an interesting thread, and thought I would add to it, since I've been looking for a case almost since I decided to go for an Sx40 HS. I was also surprised that the case they recommended to the camera and which was originally made for its predecessor is actually on the tight side according to some comments, and some also express the concern that it may be bad for the optics.

After searching a great deal, I at last narrowed down the possible cases to some models from LowePro, namely "Apex 110 AW" Rezo 110 AW", "Adventura 100" and "Quick Case 100"

I finally chose the Apex, as its a bit more roomy then the Rezo, and furthermore is more protected by it's rain cover than the Rezo, 97% to 75%. The Adventura, while I don't doubr its great for the purpose, it's a smaller backpack, with compartments for camera and various accessories. The Quick Case 100, on the other hand is a smaller case, much like the original leather cases to older cameras. In fact its made of leather/nylon. This case doesn't carry much more than the camera, but it seems to be quick in case you want to get your camera fast for a photo. When opening, you just let doen part of it, and you are able to use the camera immediately.

The Apex I chose, as far as I can judge from information in reviews and comments, has room for camera with lenshood, a couple of SD cards in the lid, spare batteries, cable, charger, and a couple of lenses. It's supplied with a shoulderstrap, but can also be carried in the belt. There are also two removable divideners which help to secure the camera while creating an adjacent space for accessories, and by placing one of them a bit from the bottom of the case, you can make sure that the camera won't take a direct hit if the bag is dropped, but is sort of "hanging" in the air.

Well, if you're interested I can tell more when I get the case (and camera) which should be during next week. Let me know if you are.

/T.J.

P.s. You seem to have an interesting idea, please let me know if you start a blog or do anything else regarding the SX40 HS.
AndreLikesPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote