Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:39 PM   #1

Default Professional digital cameras

I am new to digital photography and could use some advice. Currently I have a Kodak CX4230 as my only digital camera and would like to purchase a better camera. Although the 4230 does an excellent job for what it is, I would like to have a professional digital camera. Are there any professional photographers using digital cameras for magazines, ect. If so, what kind of cameras do they use and what megapixel? Any answers that I can get would be of help to me.
Thanks
John Adams
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:37 PM   #2
djb

i'm not a proffessional but, i'll put in my 2 cents worth. from what i gather from this forum is that pros are using cameras such as the canon 1ds, nikon d1, and maybe the kodak 14Megapixel camera.
all these are in the $6000 to $8000+ range. if you want something really good try the canon digital rebel, canon 10d, or nikon d100 or d70. i think fuli makes the s2 also which uses nikon lenses. the second group of cameras range form about $899 to $1500 without lenses. hope this helps and i'm sure some others can elaborate more.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:49 PM   #3

Thanks Dennis, that is what I am looking for. My price range is around 1k to 2k at the tops. Just read an article on the Canon d30, but have not priced it as of yet. The article said that 6-megapixels can produce 35mm quality at 11x17 with this camera. Just cashed in my 401k and need to buy something for myself and my new hobby.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:05 PM   #4
Administrator

The EOS-D30 is a 3 Megapixel Model. It's very good, but a little dated. It was replaced with the Canon EOS-D60 (which was since replaced by the newer EOS-10D).

Out of the Canon lineup, the EOS-10D is probably the better choice in the under $2k budget right now.

Canon did come out with a lower cost model recently (EOS-300D/Digital Rebel). However, it does not have all of the features of the EOS-10D.

If you can wait a few weeks, there is a new PMA show and convention in Las Vegas next month. There will be many new models announced between now and then (although it's anybody's guess as to what can be expected).

So, you could see some price drops if the competition heats up.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:20 PM   #5

I use the Nikon D-100 for slower stuff 6.5 megapixels, and the Nikon D2H for the real fast pics 3.5 megapixels.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:42 AM   #6

John, I shoot professionally with a 10D and have access to a 1Ds when I need it. Most people I know in the Minneapolis market have gone with a 1Ds, 10D, or Nikons D1X or, D100. Since you currently have a Kodak system and no lens' for Nikon or Canon (I'm assuming) you might want to look at the Canon digital Rebel. The kit comes with a lens that was designed for the camera, and has the same chip as the 10D. It can be had for under $1000.00 bucks on the internet. It would be a great way to get started on a higher level with out breaking the bank. It also allows you to ad lens' and accessories later. Good Luck! Bob

p.s. Grew up in Omaha, still have family there, get back often. If you get a chance checkout Rockbrook Camera on Center street. 114th I think. They are pretty decent to deal with.
Fotobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:19 PM   #7

johnny9, you left out one of the most important pieces of information. What do you shoot? In what situations? What light? What subjects?

Someone suggested the DRebel. It's not a bad camera. But there are a few things it lacks that might or might not matter. Without the above information, the advice could be "right on" or "really bad". There is no way to tell.

BTW, the prices given by djb are a little off. The Kodak 14n (I wouldn't advice getting it) is around 3000-3500 right now (a $1,000 rebate was just started.) The Canon 1ds is just over $7000 (he was right there) and the Nikon D1 has been replaced twice now (I wouldn't recommend it) by the d1h and d2h. The d2h is very nice, but it's a camera for a purpose (sports/photojournalism/etc, where frames per second matter) so it might be wasted money. It's a good camera, but it might not fit what you need. For the best Nikon, it's still the D1x (ok, maybe the d2h beats it?) I don't know the cost, but it's not $8000 and it's probably under 6000. My guess is closer to $4000.

But with these model names, you can do your own price research a www.bhphoto.com.

If you can wait, I would wait until after PMA (the middle of next month?) as I would expect new models and price changes.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 4:21 PM   #8
Administrator

Eric:

He indicated that his price range was from $1k to $2k tops. So, that will rule out the higher end models.

He'll probably need to go with the Canon EOS-300D, EOS-10D; or Nikon D100 to stay within his price range (and still have enough left over to buy at least one good lens) -- unless he wants to go used.

I'd probably skip the 300D (unless he can get by without the 10D metering options, FEC, buffer size, etc.).

Compared to his existing Kodak, almost anything should be a big step up (as long as he understands the major differences between a DSLR and a non-DSLR model).

Although, he should take his shooting style into consideration, to make sure he is making the "right choice" for his needs. You are right to point that out.

Also, as you mentioned, he probably should wait until after PMA to seriously narrow down his choices. Even if there are no new camera models in this class available immediately from it, new camera announcements may cause some price drops.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 5:15 PM   #9

Thanks everyone, I think that I will wait until after the show to see if there are any price breaks. One of my friends works for Nebraskaland and said that he can have my photos looked at and if good enough, published. He suggested the canon G5 or the nikon 5700, shot in Tiff mode. This is what he uses and has many of pictures in the magazine and on their calendars. Do these models seem adaquite ?
I mostly shoot landscapes and peoples expressions in different situations. I also shoot children ( mostly babies) for some extra cash. All of these are done on a nikon 35mm, scanned into the computer and given to the people on cd so the can do with them what they will.
Thanks again
John Adams
Old Jan 22, 2004, 6:22 PM   #10

I concure with photobob. Rockbrook is a good place to deal with. on 108th & center . Also in Lincoln not sure of location there.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote