Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:30 PM   #1

Default AF speed d100 vs. 7hi?

i have a 7hi and am thinking of geting a d100

i mostly shoot basket ball, baseball, and night time football

i know the af with the 7hi is SLOW when shooting football and even slower with basketball

if i get a d100, will the AF be any faster? how much?

i think it depends on the lens (???), what are some of the better lenses?

i dont know very much about dslr, so i need some help

thanks,
brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2004, 12:12 PM   #2

There is something wrong with your camera or you arenít using it properly. The standard full autofocus time is still faster than most current cameras and the pre-focus lag is about the best on the market at 0.055. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D7HI/D7HIA7.HTM

If you donít already do it turn the continuous focus mode on and always pre-focus by pressing the shutter halfway. If things move while you are in continuous focus mode the camera will constantly update the focus. The picture snaps almost instantly. Continuous focus uses more battery but with NiMH AAs it is cheap to carry spares.

This is what Dave at Imaging Resource said about the D7Hi under ďShutter lag, prefocusĒ ĒBlazingly fast, as fast as high-end pro SLRs in this mode.Ē

So the answer to your question is no, a DSLR will not be faster if you learn to use your Minolta.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:25 PM   #3

I failed to mention that there is a slight delay in the EVF you donít get with a DSLR. It isnít a lot but you do have to anticipate action shots a little.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 2:31 PM   #4

i am useing manual mode, i have tried switching between continuous and single, and sports mode sometimes

the shutter lag is not very noticable, it is the focus thats the problem, it might be because of the dark gym, the slowest time is basketball, i have almost no trouble with baseball

i would say about 2-3 seconds to focus, and that is a long time while trying to keep up with the ball

i do half press the shutter, and i have found my only alternitive is to use MF and a high f/ stop and "guess" where they will be
Old Jan 22, 2004, 3:09 PM   #5

If you half press the shutter halfway and wait for it to focus your lag should be only 1/20 second. It should continue to adjust focus as you follow the action if you have it set for continuous focus. Continuous focus is not the default mode so you have to set it. Prefocus is faster than MF on that camera.

I donít know exactly what the EVF delay is on that camera but you do have to anticipate the shots slightly. It can be as high as 1/10 second. You would eliminate that with a DSLR.

I would always shoot in sports mode for sports shots. That will maximize your shutter speed for any lighting and zoom configuration.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 8:17 PM   #6

Slipe, it's not about shutter lag, but about the time the camera needs to focus in poor light conditions.

I think that there's just not enough light for the camera to work with. A DSLR could be better, if theres a fast lens in front of it. And fast (f/2.8 or faster) zoomlenses are expensive, and if you want to have the same range of the minolta in one lens, impossible.

I'm not that familiar with nikon lenses, but you need an equivalent of the canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, or a lens like the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX / 120-300 f/2.8 EX.

Talk to some other shooters at the baketball/football, about what they are using, and if its good enough.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc H
Slipe, it's not about shutter lag, but about the time the camera needs to focus in poor light conditions.
I understand that. Even if it takes 2 or 3 seconds to focus it will maintain that focus and continue to update with continuous focus on unless something close to the camera moves toward or away from the camera at more than about 11 MPH. Most sports photographers can anticipate when there will be action say under the net and prefocus.

It hasnít been my experience that my D7i has any problem focusing in light as bright as a basketball arena, but I admit to not taking a lot of pictures at a distance in those conditions.

You donít need a wide angle to shoot most sporting events so getting an appropriate lens for a DSLR would be no problem. A DLSR is much easier to manually focus so the shutter lag could be reduced to the same 1/20 second or close, but you would still have to anticipate the action to be focused on the right place. And you donít have EVF lag in a DLSR. Iím not saying the DSLR wouldnít be better for sports photography, but if basketball games are your only problem try the prefocus in continuous focus.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:53 PM   #8

My uncle has a Nikon F100 with a 28-200 lens (not sure on the maximum aperature, but I think it's pretty fast ~f2.8) and the lens alone was $1800 CDN, so I suggest you stick with the Minolta, it's a great camera. Supposedly, the Canon Digital Rebel has one of the fastest focusing times.
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:01 PM   #9

thanks for your help, but the focus is not the only thing wrong, noise is another problem