Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:40 PM   #1

Default Professional Photojournalism- an endangered species ?

I found this article interesting and also wondered about the future of photojournalism.

Certainly cell phone cameras don't produce the quality of a pro DSLR...but for immediacy, being there at the right time and reduced costs for news agencies...I wonder how all this will affect photojournalism ?

The picture quality of cell phones, I'm sure will improve over the year..technology always is on the march.

Another point to consider is that a typical person with limited camera experience...won't have the eye for a meaningful picture that a pro photographer will have...but perhaps the sheer volume of cell phone pictures that seem to come out...some of them will be satisfactory for new agencies.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...ournalism.html

What do others think ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:23 PM   #2

Good photojournalism isn't just lucky shots (though that can be part of it); it's also how the picture tells the story of the event. Some lucky shots can do that, but many more are deliberately composed, or carefully researched, or are taken in places that your average chap with a cell phone may simply not go.
Photomiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:22 AM   #3

It's part of a much larger trend, unfortunately. It's called "Citizen as Sensor".

The City of Boston has a free Andriod App called 'Street Bump' that, when you drive over a pothole, your smartphone senses the jolt with its accelerometer, and reports its GPS location to the city.

Google Traffic uses the sensors in smartphones to collect info about traffic flow, andcollects and reports its findings via its service.

Relying on social networks for content is certainly easier and cheaper than having a reporter and/or photographer on site as news happens. It's unfortunate for the professional news gatherers, and it requires more and greater scrutiny by the editors, but it's inevitable.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:02 AM   #4

Unfortunately, it seems, the end of the days of photographs like these is within sight:

On the other hand, without citizen photojournalism, we wouldn't have the Zapruder film:

Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:35 AM   #5

The landing craft photo, other military situations, and other places with restricted access are likely the only place for professional photojournalists. Though there are likely to be more print/word journalists who will be carrying small cameras and have at least a passing knowledge of how to use them.

Todays cameras are a great deal smaller and easier to use then a speed graphic.

But the key point is that since there will be a great deal of free photos available, who would expect anyone to pay much for ones that are a little bit better.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 6:02 PM   #6

The military have their own photographers http://www.popphoto.com/gallery/fron...y-photographer

How will cellphones affect the paparazzi?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:26 AM   #7

One of the other forums I belong to - Sportsshooter.com - has a large number of photojournalists working there. Remember in most cases, PJs aren't JUST sports or news shooters - they're both. Obviously, the "state of the PJ industry" is something discussed there often. There is no doubt there is a massive reduction in the number of PJ jobs. Newspapers are, more and more, owned by corporations. Corporations must be profitable. Like many other industries before them, times are tough. That means looking at doing things differently. It also means that employees must now do several jobs. Again, no different than what many of us have already experienced in other industries. It's unfortunate, but it's reality in today's economy. The truth is - photos alone just don't sell newspapers. I have 2 major daily newspapers available - I haven't subscribed to either in 8 years. The content wasn't worth it. One really had great photographers. But that isn't enough for my money (of course, subscription isn't the major revenue source for newspapers but photos aren't going to get more advertisement $$ either).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:45 AM   #8

I remember people talking about professional photojournalism going away back in the mid 80's when everyone started buying video cameras and still cameras were becoming a thing of the pass. They also talked a lot about how no one could feel safe about their privacy anymore.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
How will cellphones affect the paparazzi?
It's hard to get a long lens for an iPhone.

... not impossible, just hard.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:43 AM   #10

There are likely to be more of the military photos available, with troops carrying cameras with them on operations. I used to have a nice Polaroid camera I carried on my helicopter, till it got shot. Did get some nice pictures from it though. The troops on the scene when a certain dictator was captured, got photos of him in his hidey hole, and through out the process. Don't know if they were authorized, but were distributed.
I don't think photojournalism is going to go away as a profession, but there will be a lot fewer jobs available and the compensation is probably going to be less.
There has been talk that other sectors of the photography business will disappear as well : Weddings, Portraiture, etc. Keeping ahead means combining smart business decisions, good marketing skills, and top notch photography. (fortunately, I'm retired and not worried for myself)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote