Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Default Canon G cmos...?

Just a thought- but I wonder(and hope) if Canon has any plans to include a CMOS sensor in the next "G" series camera,to speed the old fella up a bit..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:15 AM   #2

I dunno. I have a G 12 and it's a fine little camera. But I'm wondering if it is the last of the G's....now that there are so many really good, small cameras with interchangeable lenses.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3

I'm just guessing here, but I'd say they will more than likely add a CMOS sensor to the next "G" model. I believe this will be due to the inclusion of their newer HS system we now see in most of their PowerShot models, which utilizes a CMOS sensor (and I bet the next "G" gets a DIGIC 5 processor).

Again, this is just speculation, I don't have any official word; and if I did it would be under NDA and I wouldn't be able to share.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:06 PM   #4

Lesmore49- indeed there are many decent,compact,interchangeable lens cameras on the market- however,I still feel there's a call for a premium quality compact- with a lens that tucks into the body when switched off.....
The "G" line can still be placed in a pocket....

billy- just a thought,but I wonder if the S100 will signal the end of the "G" line... having much the same functionality,the latest HS sensor- and in an even more pocketable package...!
Does it shoot RAW...?

Last edited by SIMON40; Dec 8, 2011 at 1:19 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Lesmore49- indeed there are many decent,compact,interchangeable lens cameras on the market- however,I still feel there's a call for a premium quality compact- with a lens that tucks into the body when switched off.....
The "G" line can still be placed in a pocket....

billy- just a thought,but I wonder if the S100 will signal the end of the "G" line... having much the same functionality,the latest HS sensor- and in an even more pocketable package...!
Does it shoot RAW...?
I don't think we've seen the end of the "G" models, but I could be wrong.

Yes, the S100 shoots RAW and RAW+JPEG.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:29 PM   #6

Check out the new Canon Sensors inside the professional line series. DIGIC Sensors explained in the article below by Eduardo Angel, a blog writer for Canon!

http://eduardoangel.com/2012/01/12/d...ors-explained/
macuser88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2012, 6:27 PM   #7

Just as I thought the S100 would step on the toes of the G12- Canon responds accordingly...
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum....mc_id=C126149
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
The "G" line can still be placed in a pocket.... Not safely in an average pocket. My G 12 can fit in the pocket of a Western shirt...denim 'cowboy' style...but as for other shirts...no not too well.

Does it shoot RAW...?
The new Canon...is it a GX 1...not sure of the name looks to be a fine camera, that replaces the G12. But at $ 799 USD...I think that is asking a lot for a non interchangeable camera. I think for that money I would look for a small DSLR or one of the many small (4/3rds, etc.) that have interchangeable lens capability. I do really like my G12 and have to say at first impression the new Canon GX 1 appears impressive, but I don't know if Canon made the right decision by not offering interchangeable lenses on this body...although it has a bigger sensor than the old G series.

At this point, the GX 1 has just been introduced....so too early for final assessments. I just don't know...but am looking forward to reviews on this latest G series.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote