Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
My pro version with PS plugin, read a TIFF or png file opened in PS fine, you just need a fast cpu in your PC for big Mpix!! VOX
Yes, exactly. That is the right way to thinking about it. It will work on what ever you can load into memory.

I find neat image slower than I'd like for the 6Mega-pixel images my camera produces. I've a friend who uses it on scanned slides that are 100-200MB. I almost pity him... I guess he gets in a lot of reading while he waits.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:38 AM   #12

Eric S, I've used mine with 6Mpix images. They brought out a free upgrade which runs a little faster. I'm on a 1Ghz Athlon with lots of RAM, so I've been wondering what 2.5Ghz, with DDR memory and a 300Mhz Front side Bus would do! The interesting thing about NI is it also seems to clean up JPEG haloing a bit as well. But it's far too slow in my opinion to use regularly, unless you're a 'night shooter'. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 1:19 AM   #13

I have a 1.8G Athlon with 1/2G of ram (I'll probably go to 1G soon, if not 1.5G) and it's still slower than I'd like. I do often shoot at ISO800, and the noise on that makes it worth it.

I believe its processor bound (not memory bound) so I bet the 2.5G would be worth more than the high FSB. Just a guess, though. I have never run it with the task manager up... I should next time.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 6:28 AM   #14

Yes, that was my conclusion - the CPU, and maths computation speed rather than graphics and memory transfer. The nice thing about upping RAM to a Gig I've found, is burning CD's rarely produces buffer errors, you can cache the whole source image in RAM and the HD to CD burner swap rarely happens. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote