Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:19 AM   #1

Default Kit to take travelling

Hi, just after some advice on what next to invest in for my trip to hong kong and Japan in february.

Currently I'm shooting with-
Sony slt a33
18-55mm kit lens
8mm samyang fisheye
50mm 1.7 Minolta
70-210mm f4 Minolta (beercan)

Obviously I'm wanting to take as little as possible, but I kind of see a use for everything. Kit lens for general shooting, 8mm cause it's fun and I love the fisheye effect, 50mm for the night time and I like to use my beercan for portraits from afar to get the natural shot.

I've looked at the travel lenses, 18-250 sigma and 18-270 tamron and they seem to be a lot of money just for 'convenience' since from reading reviews it doesn't seem like I'll be getting much better image quality than the kit I'm currently using.

Or maybe I should invest in filters and protection for the camera? It's going to be the first time I take my camera abroad.

What are your thoughts? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Mrderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:15 AM   #2

Considering the expense involved in the trip I can't imagine getting there and wishing I had brought my 50mm. You dont have any redundancy in the kit - nothing that can be covered with something else to allow you to downsize. I'd recommend a single bag to carry all the gear in, and handcuffs to keep it with me at all times. Small enough for carry-on.

Alternately, those metal cases for checking the camera gear with baggage.

Shoturtle- you know a little about traveling with cameras...
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3

What is the purpose of your trip? If you are going for business purposes, your opportunities for photography may be limited. Similarly, if you will be with family and have to shepherd children around, a large camera kit will be unwieldy, and a good pocket camera may be the best bet to preserve the memories. If you're going mostly for the photo opportunities, I'd say to take everything and have a blast.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

It's purely a holiday with family, no kids, but peoples patience is short when they want to go shopping. Which is another reason why I want to save weight, can't go to japan and hong kong without plenty of shopping.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:17 PM   #5

The last thing you want to do is lug allot of camera equipment with you honestly. While there is a good mass transit system in HK, there are allot of walking around as well. Are you on a photography vacation or a fun vacation.

If it is fun and you want to take nice photos with you. Go lite something like the 18-270 form tammy and a fast prime like the 50 1.7 is pretty much all you will really need. It makes for a lot more enjoyable trip with less to carry around. Carry allot of gear gets very old and exhausting very fast. And it is a pain to have to constantly change lens when walking around on vacation. Even in the middle of the winter, HK is hot and humid at times. More stuff more sweating.

I have gotten to the point that my travel kit if not a photography trip is my epl-1 with the 14-150 and the 20mm 1.7. And that covers pretty much everything I need.

PS I was in HK last year for about 1.5 weeks, you might be shopping as well, that make for more things that you might have to lug back to the hotel. Japan is not that great for shopping everything is more expensive then NYC. Unless you are after some electronic thing that does not come to the states.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:23 PM   #6

PS

If you are going to photography the HK light show in the harbor, bring a travel tripod. Will get some nice photos of the laser light show.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:07 PM   #7

Thanks shoturtle, I guess it's all about figuring out what the necessities are.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:17 PM   #8

and don't forget batteries, battery charger/converters as needed for the countries you going to and lots of memory cards (at least 3 or 4 extra 16GB plus whats in the camera) or a device to off load your memory cards to, lens cleaning cloth and blower to get dust out of our camera body/sensor...

I'd go for the Sigma 18-250mm and also carry the 50mm for lenses. Like said above I'd travel as light as I can.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:33 PM   #9

cards are not a big deal, there are pretty easy to find off of nathan rd at all the camera shops. And not to expensive. When fill just put in those plastic case. Was in SE Asia for a month. And my cards were fine when I get back. But I did go through 2 16gb and 1 8gb card.

Most battery charger that comes with the camera are dual voltage. So just a cheap adapter plug kit is all you need. But check the back of you sony charger, that it is both 110/220v.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 18, 2011 at 6:01 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote