Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:39 AM   #1

Default Inherent advantage(s)--compact market

In terms of pocket cameras including phones, is the writing on the wall for compact (pocket) P&S's? I just visited the phone store, and I was pretty amazed at the quality of new phones (though I still refuse to get one, because I don't want the data plan). In terms of the camera, while I haven't used one really, they seem quite impressive. I'm thinking of friends with the iPhone camera, etc.

My question is whether it's worth the effort to buy a new P&S, or is it "just as good" to buy a phone with a nice camera on it. I understand that P&S have optical zoom capabilities that I don't see phone cameras having...

Can phones have comparable sensors (to P&S)?
Is the lens quality night and day (or comparable)?
Etc.

I'm just an enthusiast, but I don't know much. I'm not a pro or semi-pro. I have an SD4000 Canon (which I like), and a decent phone camera. Just wondering.
roaddawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:12 PM   #2

G'day RD

Several thousand years ago when computers were called "286s or 386s" & hard disks were 5Mb or 'gosh-golly-huge' 10Mb, I attended a lecture with one of the many "computer experts" of the day where he made the statement that he'd like to see the day when the computer grew up to become a telephone ... ie- it became so easy to use & had the functionality to do almost anything

Who's to say where mobile phones will go to? > They weren't around when the computer expert was making his pronouncements

The other day I received a xmas catalogue from a local supplier, and one of the many [useless to me] items in the list was a clip-on 10x zoom lens for the mobile phone. It seemed to be about as long as a phone is today, and had a cradle / clip thing for the phone itself, where the phone could be held in place and also fine-tuned into a location behind the zoom lens

So ~ you never know what these cunning little designers are up to, and what they'll offer us next
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:30 PM   #3

While it is probable that the same or similar sensors are/will be used, lens quality isn't likely to equal what you would get on a camera. Developments in phone cameras will improve them, but so will cameras improve. Physics being what it is, cameras should always remain ahead of phones. The question of what is 'good enough' is something each of us has to answer individually.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:01 AM   #4

I saw an article in a mag a few months ago same subject and the conclusion there was that the compact camera still takes better pictures and that there will be a market for both. so next question will be the death of the DSLR same answer there will be a market place for them and mirrorless cameras
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:48 PM   #5

G'day all

@Wave ... I have commented previously [here & elsewhere] that I believe that "just as digital has disposed film over a decade, so will Electronic Viewfinders dispose the mechanical mirror & viewfinder" of SLRs

All around us in everything we do & use, mechanical things are being replaced by electronic things ... and I believe that the mirror-box assembly is one of them that will go sooner rather than later. In only 7 yrs, I have seen EVF finders go from 100,000 pixels to 1,4million pixels; from gritty & contrasty things to 'things-of-beauty', and they lighten & darken as you sweep across the scene - rather than a series of exposure number rising or falling. I could go on

At the moment, they fail in the [very] dark, but in low light they out-perform any current SLR mirror-viewfinder

So- it will be interesting to watch them progress & take over
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddawg31 View Post
My question is whether it's worth the effort to buy a new P&S, or is it "just as good" to buy a phone with a nice camera on it.
Figure out what your photography needs are now and for the next couple of years. Buy a camera that meets those needs, be it p&s or phone. Reevaluate in about 3 years, when you're ready for the next phone or one of them dies, whichever comes first.

I'm hoping the increase in quality of phones with cameras leads to a drop in used p&s prices. That way I will be able to buy a decent quality beater camera to carry when the threat of rain or salt spray means the good cameras stay in the case.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote