Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1

Default Features in Compact P&S market question

I'm strictly talking in that pocket camera market, I'm interested in a couple of neat features, and I wonder how common these features are:

The first one is interval mode. I find this to be a GREAT feature. One way I think it would be great is to set it at a dinner table or setting where you can set it and let it take candid photos while you mingle would be nice.

The second mode I think is cool is the sweep panoramic mode.

These two happent o be on the Samsung TL350, which I'm considering buying even though I have a fine camera (the Canon SD4000). But I wonder how common these features (on the TL350 are). I know the panorama feature is out there (maybe you can tell me if that's that great a feature as I seem to think), but in terms of the interval mode--is it as rare as I seem to think? And is it something that can be used in the manner I illustrated above? I think that's really my question. Are there lots of other cameras that do this, and I'm just missing it? Thanks for reading.
roaddawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:04 PM   #2

G'day RD

The continuous pano feature is one that is becoming much more common in many p&s cameras these days, as the electronic shutters in those cameras can do it whereas the SLR mechanical shutter just isn't in the race

As to interval timers, I think that 'most' camera companies have at least one camera in their lineup that either does it, or comes close to it. Overall it's not a feature that everyone wants [maybe like the inbuilt GPS in some cameras] and so it just appears now & again

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:36 PM   #3

Thanks Ozzie for the reply.
As to the panorama thing, I like how you can take a panoramic action shot... I just never seen that before. And as for the interval thing, I envision using it by setting it (let's say at a dinner table), to be able to take candid shots of an evening (not necessarily as a time lapse thing... I hope that's something that you can do.) Can you recall any (compact P&S) off top of your head, that have that capability? I can't recall seeing this feature.

I'm strongly considering buying this TL350... so if you or anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate that too. thanks again!

Last edited by roaddawg31; Dec 28, 2011 at 12:22 PM.
roaddawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:04 PM   #4

G'day RD

I'm not in the retail photo industry so I don't know the in's & out's of all p&s cameras
I suggest you pop into the DPreview site and hit their 'search' box for "review, interval timer" to see which camera reviews referred to interval timers etc etc

I suspect that you'll find a dozen or so cameras ... at least that's my recollection of reviews over the past year or so where the term has lodged into my 'memory device of debatable accuracy'

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:59 PM   #5

My impression is that the intervalometer function is more commonly going to be found in the more advanced cameras such as the superzooms, and isn't something likely to show up in the pocket camera market. There may be something there, though, as there is usually at least one match for every need.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:52 PM   #6

G'day RD & VT

Yes fellas ... I've just done a qwik followup of my suggestion to RD > and it seems that both Ricoh & Nikon had P&S cameras with interval timers several years ago, but the item has been dropped from their current lineups

All I can find at the moment is several of the Nikon dSLR range and whether the OP wants a Nikon dSLR only s/he can determine

Regards, Phil
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:29 PM   #7

You may find that cameras with time-lapse movie capability also do still shots at intervals, as my older Minolta D7hi does. It isn't a pocket camera, though, and it is tough to find a used one as well.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:02 PM   #8

Default Pentax camersa have interval timers

Pentax has interval timers in many of their cameras. For sure their DSLRs K-5 and K-7 do and their waterproof point and shoot Optio WG1 does as well. Probably others do as well but I haven't checked all the specs on Pentax other cameras. Lots of other DSLRs will do interval timing using software and a computer but with the Pentax cameras with this feature all you have to do when you are out in the woods or some other remote area is pull out the camera and set the timer, no dragging a laptop with you. Pentax is so underappreciated by the market for what they provide in their cameras and just don't get the market share that they deserve. Sturdy, weatherproofed cameras with standard features not found on competitors cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddawg31 View Post
I'm strictly talking in that pocket camera market, I'm interested in a couple of neat features, and I wonder how common these features are:

The first one is interval mode. I find this to be a GREAT feature. One way I think it would be great is to set it at a dinner table or setting where you can set it and let it take candid photos while you mingle would be nice.

The second mode I think is cool is the sweep panoramic mode.

These two happent o be on the Samsung TL350, which I'm considering buying even though I have a fine camera (the Canon SD4000). But I wonder how common these features (on the TL350 are). I know the panorama feature is out there (maybe you can tell me if that's that great a feature as I seem to think), but in terms of the interval mode--is it as rare as I seem to think? And is it something that can be used in the manner I illustrated above? I think that's really my question. Are there lots of other cameras that do this, and I'm just missing it? Thanks for reading.
Sunnyday2012 is offline   Reply With Quote