Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2004, 4:03 PM   #1

Default Request help on delay when taking an action photo

Hi Please help , I have a Sony MVC FD 75 and have used the camera for website photo's and when taking action shots of horses when you press the button there is no delay and the photo is taken. I notice with some of the cameras which take much larger resolution pictures there is a delay.
I am looking at buying the Canon Powershot A80 , taking animal pictures with a photo take delay is extremely difficult , cos in a quater second the ears may be moved back.

What do you advise , which camera will best suite my needs?
I would like a camera with at least 4 Megapixels!

Thank you kindly

Greg Miles
elbarec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 4:55 PM   #2

well the delay (if i'm not mistaken) is the autofocus...well autofocusing....so most cameras will do that (i think) so to fix that follow the horse with the shutter pressed halfway down.....then all the way down when ready
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 5:15 PM   #3

There are two ways to manage the delay:
1. You press the shutter button halfway and let the camera autofocus, then press the shutter fully to take the picture. This method does require some anticipation of the event.
2. Find a camera that has manual focusing and you will not experience a delay.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 5:16 PM   #4

I forgot to add:

The best action shot cameras will Digital SLR cameras. However, you can master the consumer digital at action photos. It takes some practice and technique.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:14 AM   #5

Default ? Listening to your replies

Thanks for the replies , I do not have a camera to test now but will get one next week.
My problem is that I take horse pictues , stills and needs the horses ears to be forward , which camera will best suite my needs , my old mavica 75 takes the photo the exact time i press the button (When i see the animal is in the right position I take the photo and it comes out right)
It seems , I dont know camera with higher resolution can't do this , is this true?
It is extremely difficult to anticipate when the horse is going to move their ears forward , I will be there all day trying to anticipate the horses move.

Thanks for the help.

Greg
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:52 AM   #6

The Minolta 414 is 4Mp with a 4X optical zoom and inexpensive. The reason I mention it is that it has a continuous focus mode and an especially fast shutter delay with pre-focus (1/10 second). The continuous focus continues to focus after you halfway press the shutter release so it is more practical in many situations. If something moves with a camera without continuous focus you have to release the shutter and pre-focus again. I find it a very handy feature on my cameras that have it.

The 414 also uses CF which is relatively less expensive and AA batteries. You would need a charger and set of NiMH rechargeable batteries which donít come with the camera. Not very pricey though and spares are cheap. This is a nice battery/charger combo unit with a car charger included if you get a camera that takes AAs.: http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-c204f-4aa220dc.htm

I find continuous focus great for grab shots as well since it focuses all the way to shutter release and things like rugrats and people at gatherings stay in focus if they move. It uses a little more battery but that isnít a problem with AA batteries since spares are so cheap. I would think it would fill a 256Mb card with a single set of 2200 mAH batteries even with continuous focus on.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:29 PM   #7

I use the Nikon D-100 for portraits for Horses, Here is a Tip for the ears forward pose. The first you can do by yourself, a animal squeeker, you know the ones that come inside a pets toy and all that is left after they tear the thing apart. the other works even better but a assistant is needed use a umbrella to open and close quickly use it so you point the tip at the horse and open then close quickly works every time.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 2:48 PM   #8

Default Shutter speed Canon power shot a80

I would really like to buy this camera(Canon powershot a80) , like its review , anyone know much about its manual focus or shutter speed settings , I dont want a delay when the photo is taken?

Greg