Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2004, 5:36 PM   #1

Default Is top left on my CCD also top left on my picture?

Hello fellow digicam enthousiasts. I'm Japp, i'm from the Netherlands and new to this forum. I knew the site though. My camera is a Minolta RD-3000 and i'm having trouble cleaning the CCD in it. Allways someting stuborn piled up in a corner that i can't get rid of with a sensorswipe (http://www.pbase.com/image/23431905). I'm planning to buy me a speckgrabber for these last speckles of dust. I'm having some in the top right corner of my pictures that is becoming visible on clear blue skies at 11 or up. Can anyone tell me please if i should look for these speckles in the top right corner of my CCD as well or is it left bottom or some other corner, i have no idea myself on this. :?:
JappRD3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 5:46 PM   #2

I haven't seen many posts here from people brave enough to clean ccd's, perhaps your camera is made for it and offers plugin replacements as well when better ones come out!. I'd take the pragmatic approach as I would working out which way to put labels in laser printers. Can't you put some thin plastic cling film over it and mark the film in one corner with a black mark? Lenses normally turn things upside down from what I remember about camera obscura's. How does dust get in in the first place? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:09 PM   #3

It's actually safe to clean your CCD as long as you stick to some rules. All the warnings that circle on the web, they are all true: no canned air, no greasy brushes etc. The sensor swipe is flat, use it with a lint free cloth and some drops of methanol cause it desolves immediately and doesn't leave any stripes. The glass over the CCD is quit strong and difficult to scratch with a soft wipe. Most digital SLR's are still cleaned that way i think. Your tip is clever, although i'm afraid of the glue issue involved and the area to work in doesn't exactly leave much room to manouver. I also thought about the camera obscura but it might just work completely different on DSLR's or any other digicam for that matter. My RD-3000 (see Steve's review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/rd3000.html) is a 2.7 Mpixel digital SLR from 1999. It uses the Vectis lens range, i have the 17mm. 22-80 zoom, 80-240 zoom, 50 macro and 400 mirror. This is also the main reason how dust comes in: Changing lenses a lot.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:13 PM   #4

I now see that you said cling film, i read tape - stupid. Very clever but the area to work in is so small, it will prove to be very difficult i think and it will leave my mirror open for a longer time which will attract dust again on the active CCD. :?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:29 PM   #5

O.K now I understand. Perhaps you need a thyristor speed controlled vacuum cleaner with a lens bayonet fitting on the end of the pipe, just plug and play every so often!

I guess the problem is these components are installed clean in clean rooms to start with, so once assembled in a camera the problem gets bigger. Good luck with your search for answers. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:38 PM   #6

Thank you Vox for your kind and fast replies. I will have a look for that vacuum cleaner on google. Japp