Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:29 AM   #1

Default photo of the day

Having just looked at the daily photo taken by a six year old makes me wonder why so many people I know cant take a decent photo. I always thought that with todays terrific digital cameras with good auto focus etc that anyone should be able to tke a really good photo. However having seen some of the photos some of my friends have taken with really expensive cameras makes me wonder if this ability is something you either have or do not have.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:46 AM   #2

The wonderful thing about children is they do not limit their imagination. Their minds are like sponges as they soak in everything around them.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:55 AM   #3

In addition to what Phil said, since children don't know the "rules," they innocently and easily break them, allowing their natural creativity to flow. As adults, we become steeped in rules, and it often stifles us. For instance, there's a rule about not putting the subject dead center, but there are occasions when the beauty of a photo is brought out only by breaking this rule.

Of course, it helps to first learn the rules and understand them. Once we do that, we should all feel free to break them. The worst thing that can happen is a bad photo. (I have a huge collection of these. )
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 8:47 AM   #4

Hey all...

Kudosimmos supremos to the kid, I say!!!

I love the way the lil sis filled the frame of her photo with big sis.

(Btw, I gave my 2 y/o niece a disposable, one-time, waterproof camera for Christmas...she is going to give it to me when she is finished and we will go the distance with it...CD of pics and prints too courtesy of Kodak ).
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 9:09 AM   #5

Quote:
I gave my 2 y/o niece a disposable, one-time, waterproof camera for Christmas
A truly inspired gift! You might consider sharing some of her photos with us. I'd love to see them.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 1:43 AM   #6

so do any of you feel that some people are more gifted in the photography area than others or is it all about the best camera? I mean, if two people were given the same camera should they both be as good as each other in using it once they know how it all works? I often wonder if photography is something that comes naturally or not.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 8:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladyforty
so do any of you feel that some people are more gifted in the photography area than others or is it all about the best camera? I mean, if two people were given the same camera should they both be as good as each other in using it once they know how it all works? I often wonder if photography is something that comes naturally or not.
Cameras don't take pictures, people do. I don't think it's "natural" talent as much as it is an understanding of photography. You can go out and buy the best camera made and if you don't understand the composition and elements that make a good photograph, a good shot will be merely luck. Just because you buy a Steinway, it won't make you a concert pianist. Photography is an art and one must study it in order to master it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 2:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Photography is an art and one must study it in order to master it.
When I started college, it was in a school of art, and on the first day of orientation for freshman, the dean gave a speech in which he said, "We will not be teaching you to do art; we'll be teaching you to see." As time went on, various instructors reminded us that tools and techniques and knowing how to use them would not make us artists. (Boy, were they ever right! I switched majors.)
Old Jan 25, 2004, 8:09 PM   #9

I agree in part with those comments. However I know some people who have never taken photography as a subject yet they seem to have a natural ability to compose truely beautiful pictures, almost as if they were schooled to the max in the art. I also know of a photographer who started out selling her photos before she studied the art of photography (and they sold well) yet now that she has done all the study, I honestly cant see any difference. However this person works with film so i guess she would have to do a bit of study on computers if she wants to go digital.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 8:36 PM   #10

Quote:
...yet they seem to have a natural ability...
I suppose it was a bit buried in what I said, but that was essentially it. No matter how many courses you take in any of the arts, the teachers can't make you into an artist, only a good technician. However, that ability to see can be nurtured. Being born with a talent doesn't necessarily mean that this ability is a finite quantity that can't be increased, improved, ripened. Following some of the history of great musicians, writers, artists, and so forth, you can see how they've changed, matured, expanded.

Well, I certainly went off the deep, overblown end. :shock: