Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:13 PM   #11
BDD

I've always felt that if you've been shooting for x# of years...if the particular camera model (e.g. D4 or 1D-X) does what you truly need and you can afford it...go for it!! Even if you're not making a living as a photographer.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:44 PM   #12

Absolutely - if you can afford a piece of gear, there's no issue whatsoever in buying it. That's why I said I think you'll see a lot more hobbyists with disposable income buying these cameras initially than you will full time pros. Nothing wrong with that. But my point is, Canon and NIkon still need those full time pros to buy the cameras. And, in the case of media companies, it's not the shooter that buys the gear, the company does. So, with such a large price tag you may see more companies holding off or even deciding to use less expensive models.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:46 PM   #13

For example, you'll see a LOT of pro studio shooters using 5dIIs instead of 1ds IIIs. The 5dII is "good enough" for the price savings.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:08 PM   #14

Most professionals, whatever their profession, will use the tool that is appropriate, not necessarily the best or most expensive. I doubt you will find a truly pro carpenter who carries a $120 carbon fiber and titanium hammer on the jobsite.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote