Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1
BDD

Default Canon AF systems

How are Canon's pro bodies when it comes to AF speed and tracking. I heard people say the 5D2 doesn't have the fastest AF. Then again it's not a sports shooter.

Are Nikon pro body's superior in this respect? AF speed & tracking?

Looking FWD to 1D-X vs D4 head-to-heads.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:53 PM   #2

The D3S is a better camera in the AF then the 1D4. But it will be interesting to see the D4 and the 1dx comparisons.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:06 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The D3S is a better camera in the AF then the 1D4. But it will be interesting to see the D4 and the 1dx comparisons.
Is there any real life evidence to show this or is it just opinion/conjecture? I've not seen any tests to show that at a real life sporting event that the D3/S/x is any better than the 1D4. They are both pro level and give pro level results which is why they are so widely used amongst pros who need really fast and accurate AF. There were initially some problems with the 1DmkIII but the copy I had was spot on and I used it in sports shooting for a long time without problem.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:15 AM   #4

Yes, I was plane spotting with some friends, one had a d3s and the other a canon 1d4. We were at the end of the runway and the planes heading toward us. And the 1d4 did well but the d3s had more keepers. Big jets getting to 200mph, and and passing over our heads at about 100ft. It is a little better, but both were pretty impressive, but the Nikon got the nod as the better of the two. It was more telling when the fighter jets took off vs the cargo jets. The aggressor sqr at langen flies mig 29. When the rotated, they went straight up, very fast.

The started shooting just befor the rotation, and continue to about when the plane was just in front of us at 100 ft.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:30 AM   #5
Super Moderator

OK so conjecture it is LOL.

Good to know what their view was based on that scenario, would be great to see a scientific (as much as is possible in this game) test with different elements considered, ie shooting something reflective like metal compared to an athelete, different temperatures, amount of light etc. It's hard as lenses very the situation too. I would be happy with either for sports and would doubt anyone is going to see the differences enough to want to jump systems unless there is a major issue.

It will be fun to see how the two new big boys stack up.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:38 AM   #6

both were using a 70-200 2.8 canon and nikon glass. But it was very close, I would not turn down a 1d4. It did a very nice job.

Don't do the sport thing anymore, used to do drag racing shoots. But I no long turn wrenches like I used to when I was younger, I may go to the track once a year now. It would be interesting to see how they fair shooting race cars.

But yeah, think everyone is looking forward to the battle of the FF sport camera's. Think they will be very close.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:46 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
But yeah, think everyone is looking forward to the battle of the FF sport camera's. Think they will be very close.
It would be nice to see Canon come to the top again for overall performance as currently Nikon (IMHO) has had the better total package for top end pro bodies with noise handling and IQ. When I started out it was the other way around hence I'm loaded up with Canon gear.

One of the main things though is no matter which wins, those of us who shoot pro will still have a body that can do great work. In the wedding game then most of us shoot D700 or 5DmkII and I wouldn't like to choose between, they both have benefits and negatives and both give the desired results to sell photos. Before I turned pro I was far more worried about spec, now I'm worried about real world results and most of that comes down to a mix of body, lens and then a large amount of the photographers ability to work in different situations.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:01 AM   #8

On 1dIV vs. D3s focus tracking: There are some more reliable opinions on sportsshooter.com. Feel free to go over and search. From reading posts there, there are a couple people with experience with both cameras. It appears the 1dIV operates just as well as D3s until you get to low light levels where the D3s pulls slightly ahead. It's worth noting though, that the 1dIV requires more adjustment/fine tuning of it's custom functions. This is probably Canon's biggest issue which is why it appears they are simplifying the AF custom functions with the 1dX.

What is most interesting is the push-back from pros on the price hikes for the new bodies as well as the new 300mm 2.8 and 400mm 2.8 lenses. Media company budgets are crunched - it will be interesting to see if the market will support the large cost increases.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:47 AM   #9
BDD

If we compare the cost of the 1D-X ($7000 CAD) to the 1D4 ($4700 CAD) I'd agree. That's quiet the price jump. Same with the D4 and the D3s (smaller gap...roughly $1600 difference). Is this hit really affecting the buying decisions of media companies and "advanced amateurs"?

The D4 I think are all pretty much spoken for. In Canada the first shipment is for "Pros only". Probably the same with the 1D-X.

In any case it will be interesting to read the many test reports comparing the D4 to the 1D-X. For AF ability and otherwise.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:12 PM   #10

you bet the hit affects buying decisions. You've already got smaller papers using 7d / d300s / d700 bodies due to the expense of the pro bodies. They're businesses that are doing horrible financially. 10 years ago, things were different. You are likely to see more well-off hobbyists with 1dx bodies than pros for a little while. Don't get me wrong, the top dogs will use the 1dx - but the top dogs aren't the 'bread and butter' major daily market.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote