Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:04 AM   #1

Default Nikon Warranty Confusion

Nikon - and other manufacturers - limit warranty coverage to those cameras purchased through their "authorized dealer network" to be responsible for repairing those cameras that they imported and profitted off of and not the identical camera in the "gray market" they didn't profit off of. Fair enough.

As I am shopping for an upgrade, both camera and lens. I knew that the merchant's sites were unreliable in their statements about "includes manufactures warranty", one of which has never been an "authorized dealer", so I always check Nikon's list on NikonUSA site. The one that I thought was in the past doesn't show up on the list updated 1/9/2012 so won't be purchasing through them.

Then the major shock as I looked over the list. I've known for a fact that Best Buy and Amazon (the company, not necessarilly their 'Marketplace' companies) were on the list, but have been removed from the most recent list. Granted there is the disclaimer "subject to change at any time" which generally think of ADDING new companies, not SUBTRACTING existing companies. The question becomes - my purchase of an SB900 from Best Buy was when they were an authorized dealer, so if it needed repair today (it doesn't) would they turn it down because Best Buy isn't on the list and you have no capacity to show that it was when purchased. They can of course tell - both by approved history and seriel number - but not in their interest to admit. Plus, how many with non- gray market seriel numbers were in the supply line when the dealer approval was withdrawn. This is maddening, as it really doesn't matter who I buy from today, as they might not be authorized tomorrow.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:58 AM   #2

As you say, they will know, so there shouldn't be a problem. If you need further assurance, call your State Attorney General's consumer affairs office and they will explain the law as it applies where you live. You can also get advice from them if you have a problem.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:10 AM   #3

Yep.
In the meantime have been wading through Nikon's site, looking at the D7000 body only. Clicked on the "where to buy" and sure enough, Best Buy and Amazon showed up as places to buy, as well as several other companies not on the "authorized dealer list". It appears that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand was doing at Nikon and the master list undated last week on the "find a Dealer" page was sloppily done.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote