Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Loving lightroom!

Some of you who've been around here for a while will know that I've been pretty stuck in my ways for the ease of familiarity. It wasn't until 2010 that I switched from PaintShop Pro to Photoshop, it wasn't easy as with PSP I knew exactly what I was doing so everything took much longer in PS, however it wasn't long before the far superior power and features meant I couldn't go back again.

The next piece of software to break in was Lightroom. I've been using DPP for ages (Canon Digital Photo Pro) as my RAW editor/converter and again, it's done fine but I always felt the colour correction wasn't the best and spend quite a bit of time playing in PS afterwards to get the final result. Well yesterday I decided I should focus on getting to grips with lightroom, I had a whole day with nothing do to so knew I should be able to break the back of it. Previously I had played for a little, got lost and then went back to what I knew (DPP).

I started the day by going onto Adobe TV to get a good overview of what was in the package and how it was going to work as to be honest it was a little alien and in my previous plays it never made sense. I'm really pleased I did this as then when I started working I was able to get on and very quickly get edits I liked. I was amazed by the great graduated filter option and the speed of crop and rotate. The first isn't even in DPP and the 2nd was always slow so added extra time to my workflow.

I finished editing the whole wedding at about 1am, which with almost 700 photos that was good going. I know that this time will come down as I learn more and also when I upg PC later in the year (my machine is 5 years old now).

It's not only the time but also the results, the colours have come out great, much better correction than previously so I'm very happy. I'm actually going to edit a few sections of 2 previous weddings where I wasn't totally happy with the results from DPP and give those to the customers.

Happy man..... loving lightroom and pleased I invested a day to learn.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:47 AM   #2

I've been using PSE for years. I've viewed Lightroom suspiciously for quite some time. My understanding is that it's PSE with better workflow tools. I already don't like the limited workflow tools that come with PSE. Is there anything in the image editor part of LR that is worth me switching for?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I've been using PSE for years. I've viewed Lightroom suspiciously for quite some time. My understanding is that it's PSE with better workflow tools. I already don't like the limited workflow tools that come with PSE. Is there anything in the image editor part of LR that is worth me switching for?
Unless you are processing a load of images in one go I really wouldn't bother changing. The editing side of PSE is still more powerful than LR as far as I can tell, however, if you are looking to do mainly crop, straighten, colour correct, exposure/contrast, noise then it's a pretty good way of doing it. I will still go straight to PS (for now at least) when I'm just editing a couple of photos for top quality printing/presentation.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:12 PM   #4

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:16 PM   #5

Also, Adobe has released Lightroom4 Beta

Notable improvements, making the develop module stronger among other things.

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom4
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:01 AM   #6

I know what you mean about Lightroom being a very good tool - I use it for many/most things, then go to Photoshop for the few things I want to do that LR doesn't manage (like doing things on layers). But the vast majority of things I do in LR, and I really LOVE the crop and rotate tool! I used to get frustrated doing the same thing in Photoshop, I can't seem to hold a camera level, even with guides.

It does go about things in a totally different mannor than Photoshop does - I should watch some of the videos that are now available to see if I can't pick up more hints and tricks.

I haven't downloaded the LR4 beta, I probably should since a number of people have mentioned how much they think it's improved.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I know what you mean about Lightroom being a very good tool - I use it for many/most things, then go to Photoshop for the few things I want to do that LR doesn't manage (like doing things on layers).
Lightroom doesn't do layers?

I did this in PSE6:

It's got 12 layers, 11 of a 120 second exposure of the North Star, et al., each rotated a little more than the last, pivoting on Polaris, plus one of the Moon.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:13 PM   #8

I guess they assume if you have LR, you also have either PSE or photoshop. Or maybe they don't want to overlap these three products too much. None of them fully over-lap (well, I assume that full photoshop will do everything PSE does, but at a much higher price). When my computer was last in the shop, I very happily continued my usual work-flow using LR and PSE, only occasionally (rarely) missing the full version of photoshop. But I wouldn't want to use LR by itself for all of my processing needs.

I don't have the latest version of PSE. The one I have, and the version of Bridge that comes with CS4 which I have, is more limited for my work-flow habits than LR. I think the latest versions are better and easier to work with perhaps, but I found myself getting frustrated when trying to do things I regularly do with LR.

If I were on a budget (and didn't qualify for the academic discount) I think PSE would be the most complete solution. But there are things that LR can do that PSE can't, things that are very useful for someone like Mark who wants to do the same edits to a lot of photos). Other things, like the rotate and crop tool, is far more user-friendly as far as I'm concerned (I'm sure others feel differently).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:00 PM   #9

No layers in Lightroom seals the deal for me. I'm sticking with PSE.

I'm just tired of having to disable the organizer every time I install a new version.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
No layers in Lightroom seals the deal for me. I'm sticking with PSE.

I'm just tired of having to disable the organizer every time I install a new version.
Lightroom download RAW files 10 times faster than PSE10.
Lightroom gives you more controls over RAW files than PSE10.
Lightroom has a much better organizer than PSE10.
Lightroom has more it can do better than (you guess it) PSE10, if I could just remember all it does.