Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
One thing to keep in mind when comparing lens prices, is whether you want IS. With your Pentax, it is built in to the body - for Canon and Nikon, you have to pay more for the stabilized lenses.
In addition, 20+ year old Pentax lenses on the used market are just as stabilized as new ones. Older Canon and Nikon lenses on the used market aren't stabilized.

Canon and Nikon do have some advantages over Pentax, but Pentax has some advantages too. And the Pentax K-5 uses the same excellent Sony image sensor as the Nikon D7000, so image quality is similar, and the K-5 is weather-sealed as are many of Pentax' lenses.

JOOC, why did you select the Pentax K-r in the first place?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:44 PM   #12

Ok, thanks for all the replies.

#1. I want to buy either the 30mm F2.4 or 50mm F1.8 lens for Pentax K-R. I want to be able to do some low light shooting and my kid running around.

#2. The reason I picked Pentax was because it is my first DSLR and I wanted to learn about it first before spending more money. I am not an expert or anything right now, but eventually, I want to move on to something better. Therefore, I am wondering if I should buy new lens or upgrade all together.

Now, you guys are making me looking at Pentax K-5. =)

I don't really know what I am going to do with the K-R if I upgrade. It doesn't worth much money. Maybe keep it as a backup.

On the other hand, if I keep my K-R, I need to buy a new Flash because my flash doesn't do High Speed Sync.
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:06 PM   #13

Raylee011 - when you say you want to take photos of your "kid running around" can you be more specific? For example, I shoot low light sports - basketball, volleyball etc. For that, wide aperture lenses work well. But when my 5 year old is playing around the house - especially at night, wide aperture lenses are a poor solution. An external flash is a much more effective solution. So, you have to be careful in the thought that wide aperture lenses are the solution to all low light problems. They're not.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:06 PM   #14

I want to be able to take picture of my kid in the house without using Flash
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylee011 View Post
Then you need:
1) your child to sit still
2) a window with light or a strong light source right by or over your child

Otherwise, you're going to have issues. In those cases, an external flash, bounced, will provide the best results:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:39 PM   #16

Quote:
If that's what you want to do, check out the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. It's the largest aperture lenses that will be fast enough to focus. The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is an HSM lens on other mounts, but not for the Pentax (and Sony) mount, so it may not focus fast enough.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:02 PM   #17

I think I am buying the Pentax 35mm F2.4. What do you guys think. And now, I am going to save up some money to upgrade to a K-5.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:22 PM   #18

Quote:
I think I am buying the Pentax 35mm F2.4. What do you guys think.
I suggest you pose that question in the Pentax / Samsung dSLR and Pentax Lenses forums, to find out what others there think.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:49 PM   #19

I have Canon equipment and Pentax equipment...both are very good, very reliable, very durable IMO. I just bought a Pentax K-5 and am very happy with it. BTW, the K-5 uses the same Sony sensor as the Nikon D 7000.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:38 AM   #20

I was going to buy a KR myself but in the end went for a Nikon after having a Canon. I bought a nice 50mm 1.8 and dont use a flash in the house!! Produces lovely images.

If you want to move from pentax do it now before you buy more lenses for it and then decide you made the wrong choice!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote