Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:17 AM   #1

Default Should I buy new lens for Pentax K-R or upgrade to Nikon D7000

So, I currently have Pentax K-R and I have my eyes on the Nikon D7000 (I know they are out of Stock). So, I've been using DSLR for over a year now and I am wondering if I should buy a new lens for my K-R or save up some money and get the Nikon D7000.

Any thought on this?

Also, I heard that Canon lens can't be use on Canon Full Frame camera. Is it the same thing on Nikon?

Thanks
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:36 AM   #2

My own preference, in your position, would be to go with the Pentax K-5 body, and a new lens, and either keep the K-R for a backup, or use it as a trade-in on the K-5.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:23 AM   #3

What do you want to do that your K-r won't let you?

BTW, Canon's EF-S lenses can't be used on their 'Full Frame' bodies. Their EF lenses work fine.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:01 AM   #4

I'm with TCAV on this. What is it your K-R isn't doing that you think a new body will do better?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:17 PM   #5

The problem that I have with K-R is the build quality. I got it for a month and I already had to send it back for service. And I feel that Canon and Nikon have better lens and accessories selection and cheaper.

Last edited by raylee011; Jan 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:50 PM   #6

I'm a Canon guy. But, I think you have some misconceptions:
1) I'm sorry you have a faulty camera. I would say though that the K-R is no more or less prone to this than any other DSLR. And Pentax as a whole is not more or less issue-prone. So, I would not agree with your assertion that canon or nikon are more reliable.
2) There are certainly more lenses available for Canon and Nikon by volume & variety, but Pentax has a pretty good lineup. After all, just because Canon and Nikon have a 400mm 2.8 lens doesn't mean it's relevant if you never need it.
3) Going along with point 2: although Canon and Nikon have better lens availability, the lenses aren't cheaper than Pentax offerings. You'll find that in general, lens pricing among all the brands is somewhat similar now. You have to be aware that when you compare lenses you cannot compare just focal lengths - you have to take into account the lenses themselves to determine whether or not they are peers.

Each camera and each brand has it's pros / cons. I just don't think some of your pro/con assessments are accurate. Canon & nikon have more lenses and they're easier to find. But they're not cheaper. And canon and nikon are not better built / less error prone bodies.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:52 PM   #7

Also, I'm curios: based upon what "problem" you are trying to solve, how did you think buying a new Pentax lens was going to help you with camera reliability or lens availability / cost?

Again, I'm a canon guy - so I'm not a Pentax "fanboy" attacking you for wanting to leave "my brand".
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:07 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply. I see your points.
I am not saying that buying a Pentax lens will help the camera reliability.
But I am just wonder if I should spend money on Pentax lens now or save up money for a new camera.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:04 PM   #9

OK - let me ask a different way: Why do you want to buy a new pentax lens? For what purpose? What do you want to do that your current lens(es) cannot do?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:36 PM   #10

One thing to keep in mind when comparing lens prices, is whether you want IS. With your Pentax, it is built in to the body - for Canon and Nikon, you have to pay more for the stabilized lenses.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote