Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:02 AM   #1

Default Canon or Nikon or Olympus ?

Hi Everybody

I am looking to buy my first ever digital camera and have been reading a bit about them. My research narrows me down to three brands which are Canon, Nikon or Olympus. My primary concern is the lense quality (sharpness and colours of the photos).

Just wanted to get an idea from the experts which brand is the best one in terms of lense quality. The sort of cameras I am looking for are canon s45/s50, nikon 4300/3100 or olympus c50/mju 400 etc. Please guide me which brand to go for and which camera is a good one for beginner to intermediate level ?

Thanks a million
after-the-future is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2004, 2:59 PM   #2

while I check photos from Canon and Nikon, I've get feeling that Nikon cameras generally produce sharper photos, and sometimes repdroduce better details(as for my taste) but unfortunately doesn't have much manual controls opposing to Canon models. As for Olympus, some models produce pretty noisy pictures but some are good. You'd better check sample images yourself and decide which ones you like most. If you looking for sample images just follow link in my signature, you'll find sites with sample photos there. Good luck with picking right model.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:11 PM   #3

Fair enough - any suggestions within nikon range ??? I am basically looking for 3-4 megapixels and 3 optical zoom, help much apreciated - thanks
Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:20 PM   #4

when I was picking model for me I've choose between Nikon 3100(since 3200 isn't available here) and 4300(I inclining to this model since it has a bit more manual controls than 3200). Finally I decide not pick any Nikon cameras, as 4300 is too bulky for my pocket and have only two aperture settings... I've decided for Minolta Dimage F200 although I still can't find it(I'm looking for more than month) for reasonable price here... and most of shops seems not have it anyway in stocks
Old Jan 25, 2004, 7:35 PM   #5

It's not so much the brand as the individual models. Canon is known for its great optics, but that doesn't mean every one of it's cameras will have great images. It would be better to search around for the features you want, then read up the reviews on image quality and such. And often other companys will use other people's high quality lenses...
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:31 PM   #6

Default my sujest is choose canon

i always use canon's camera sinse i touch photography.
i thought you choose camera must think about it lens,battery and quanlity of picture.S50 is a good idea for you if you are a photography fans.
and you can also choose OLYMPUS if you are a fashion person.
livingsoul3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:04 AM   #7

I donít think there is a specific brand with superior anything throughout the range.

You specifically mentioned the Oly C50. I have had one for nearly two years as my pocket camera and have been quite happy with it. But I wouldnít buy it today as there are better cameras available IMO. With a $50 rebate until the end of the month you can pick up a Pentax 555 for less than the C50 online. It is about the same size and has a 5X zoom instead of 3X. I think the optics are a little better too. http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Pentax_O...~S-6~OR-0~PG-1 I also like the Minolta G500. It is 5Mp with a 3X zoom, compact and priced right.

Read through some reviews of the cameras you are interested in:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Imaging resource always does a separate page for shutter lag and shot to shot times which are important. Remember an older model that is reviewed as great might not be so great stacked up against current models.

You will be happy with the optical quality from most major brands. Go by features, low light focus ability, shutter lag, buffer, long exposure noise reduction, continuous focus etc.

Iím not a fan of the Oly Stylus models and similar point and shoot only cameras. Digital is a great learning tool with instant feedback and you will probably want to expand your horizons a little.

The Canon S50 is a nice camera but a little large and heavy to carry in your pocket. The first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun and you get a lot more pictures with a camera you can carry all the time in your pocket. Iím never without my little C50 unless I have one of my larger cameras with me. I carry it in a tiny leather belt pouch I found at a gun show of all places.

CF and SD cards are cheaper than xD. I think xD will likely never be used on anything but Fuji and Olympus products. SD seems to have captured the market for small cards and CF is standard for larger cameras etc. It is nice to pull the SD card from my FZ10 and view and sort the pictures on the nice color screen on my Palm Tungsten.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Iím not a fan of the Oly Stylus models and similar point and shoot only cameras. Digital is a great learning tool with instant feedback and you will probably want to expand your horizons a little.
Golden words!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:20 PM   #9

Default Thanks ever so much for such a nice response

Dear all

Thank you very much for nice response. It looks like everybody has his/her own likings and dislikings but in conclusion as one member said, all the good brands cameras will not disappoint you - go for the features.

Denis - I was actually looking for the same two cameras as you mentioned - nikon 3100 and 4300 but now it looks like I am more biased towards Olympus c50 (as it is really a very cute and small sized camera) or probably pentax 555 -

I dont know anything about Pentax brand - Have anybody got any idea about this aprticular pentax model - can be an option ???
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:54 PM   #10

I've check both models actually Oly C50 was out of my price category same with Pentax although it's look more appearling for me since it has full manual controls(although I've got feeling that it has a bit too much noise in images). Anyway why don't you check this links and see sample images:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/pentax/optio_555
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/olympus/c50z