Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2004, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Fuji S7000 vs. Nikon 5700, Lumix FZ-10, and Minolta A1???

Hi,
I'm brand new here in this forum, although I've enjoyed reading Steve's reviews for some time. I just posted this in the Fuji Section, and then realized that I should have posted it here...'Sorry! :roll:

I presently own an Olympus 3020, which is a no bells and whistles 3.2 mp point and shoot. I've been pleased with the overall quality of the pics, but have found myself missing out on some great shots that required a much longer zoom(the Oly has the standard 3x)...and with my girls in marching bands, drumline, and taekwondo tournaments, I oftentimes cannot get in close enough to get a decent pic---just nice "group" shots! I do print out shots occasionally, but usually nothing larger than an 8x10.

I've been looking and "researching" the above mentioned cameras, and am very impressed with their capabilities...but, outside of being able to choose shutter speed/aperature priorities, I'm pretty much a point and shoot amateur. The A1 and Nikon 5700 are very feature-rich...but are they too much for a point and shooter?? The Lumix fz-10 seems really cool with its Leica 12x zoom, but there have been comments about picture quality and design issues that concern me. The S7000 is very unique in that it seems to draw very strong reactions to it...reviewers either really love it or really hate it.

Have any of you had a chance to play with most or all of these cams, and can offer comments? Last question--have any of you S7000 owners found the camera lacking because it doesn't have image stabilization? I've had no problems with my somewhat shaky hands with my Oly 3020 or my Sony mini-dv 10x camcorder(with image stab.)...but don't know how they'll do with a non-stabilized long zoom like the S7000's.

Many thanks for your time and help!

Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:30 PM   #2

I recently bought the A1. The image stabilization was one of the driving factors of my decision. The 5700 was the other camera I had considered.
The A1 goes beyond point in shoot in its capabilities. If you plan on using manual focus just keep in mind the A1 has an EVF which makes manual focus difficult - if not impossible. I use the two auto-focus modes exclusively so this hasn't been a problem for me.
Overall - I have been very happy with the A1. I came very close to buying the 5700 before buying it (great camera as well).
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 6:35 PM   #3

I have the Nikon 5700 and love it. My previous digital was the Olympus 3020. Prior to that and quite a few years ago I was a serious amateur doing mostly black and white, using a Konica T3 SLR, with an assortment of lenses. The 5700 has a very steep learning curve, it is an awesome camera, capable of incredible pictures, but took me awhile and alot of reading and experimenting to get consistant results.

So if you are willing to read, play and learn, you will be very happy with the 5700. If you want to stay point & shoot there might be better choices.

Hope this helps.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 6:36 PM   #4

I have the Nikon 5700 and love it. My previous digital was the Olympus 3020. Prior to that and quite a few years ago I was a serious amateur doing mostly black and white, using a Konica T3 SLR, with an assortment of lenses. The 5700 has a very steep learning curve, it is an awesome camera, capable of incredible pictures, but took me awhile and alot of reading and experimenting to get consistant results.

So if you are willing to read, play and learn, you will be very happy with the 5700. If you want to stay point & shoot there might be better choices.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 8:21 PM   #5

I also have the 5700 and it is an excellent camera. It is a camera that will require a learning curve but has been worth the effort. I also own the Olympus C4040 which I will be giving to my daughter.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:10 AM   #6

I have some expirience with all the cameras, and i might pick any of the given depending the exact photographic needs. In your case, i would probably say the Fuji is gonna be the most user friendly P&S camera, and as far as I am concerned there are no quality issues with it (just dont interpolate to 12mp). As far as IS goes, do a little research and get yourself a nice, compact monopod, and then it very well may not be an issue. I have seen some pretty "shaky" people get great steady long zoom shots with a cheapo Quantaray monopod ($50). Well back to the other 3 cameras. The 5700 is porbably the most widely owned of your pics, being the most vulnerable, and being nikon, and being VERY high quality. The only problem with it is the really steep learning curve. The A1 is just an awesome camera, but if you dont think you would ever take yourself out of P&S mode, I think it might be a tad much. The Panasonic is a very interesting camera, and the 12X zoom with IS is great! I would say it would make an excellent P&S. My only problem with it is it feels kinda blocky when you hold it. If you are seriously considering all those cameras, my advise to you is find a camera shop where you can put them all side by side and compare, play with, ect... and then make a decision based upon how the cameras feel and operate to YOU, not to everyone else.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:18 AM   #7

Hi cczych, Jim, and Phil,

Thanks so much for your replies and your comments on the A1 and the venerable 5700! I appreciate your help.

Jim and Phil,
as you both own the 5700, may I ask you if you wish that it had image stabilization, or have you found that it really hasn't been necessary in order to capture those great long zoom shots? Seems about the only thing that some reviewers have criticized the 5700 for is slow AF--in your own experiences with your cameras, have you found any validity in this? Thanks!

Any Fuji S7000 or Lumix DMC-FZ10 owners out there with comments?

Thank you, everyone! I know that all of these cameras are truly great cameras, and I respect and appreciate your opinions. I know that I can't go wrong with any of these cams. I'm just trying to get a sense of which of these cams will be the best "fit" for me.

Take care.....
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf065
If you are seriously considering all those cameras, my advise to you is find a camera shop where you can put them all side by side and compare, play with, ect... and then make a decision based upon how the cameras feel and operate to YOU, not to everyone else.
Hi Gandalf065,

You must've been posting while I was replying...'didn't mean to leave you out!

Thanks for your comments! And you're right! The only problem is that the camera shops are few and far between where I live(Basically, I have a Ritz at the mall with the 5700 and the FZ10 to play with--the FZ10 looks great...but the grip is very blocky and not too comfortable to hold...and we have a Costco with very little, and Sears)....

Thanks again!
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:29 AM   #9

Geoff

Image stablization would always be nice but not required. I use a tripod and monopod when have to use longer shutter speeds. In good lighting you will find that you can hold most shots unless you have the shakes. There is a learning curve to using this camera but it can produce excellent photos.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukispop
Hi cczych, Jim, and Phil,

Jim and Phil,
as you both own the 5700, may I ask you if you wish that it had image stabilization, or have you found that it really hasn't been necessary in order to capture those great long zoom shots? Seems about the only thing that some reviewers have criticized the 5700 for is slow AF--in your own experiences with your cameras, have you found any validity in this? Thanks!
I really can't say on the Image stabilization as I have never owned a camera with it. I have had pretty good luck with hand holding even with the TC-E15ED attached. I do use a tripod at times, and am considering a monopod (much nicer for walking).

As far as the autofocus goes, I switched the autofocus area mode to manual (still autofocuses, just not on the closest object) and turned the continous autofocus off (better battery life). If you can keep it steady it will usually capture just fine.

There is a Nikon 5700 forum that has a great deal of threads on this subject. http://www.ghatak.com/~nikon5700/ If you are considering this camera I would browse it.

Good Luck, Jim