Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:10 PM   #1

Default Different between Hoya HMC UV(0) and UV(C)

I am planning to buy a filter. What is the different between Hoya HMC UV(0) and UV(C). I looked around on Ebay and only find UV(C) version. Is this a good filter? I want to protect and prevent glare.

Thanks
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:44 PM   #2

UVC means it comes in a protective case.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:16 AM   #3

I got a reply from "THK Photo Products", which is Hoya USA Representative.

"The main difference is that the UV(0) has the UV properties in the optical quality glass, while the UV(C) has the UV properties in the multi coatings, over optical quality glass."

This is odd. I've been doing some research online and each forum have a different explanation.
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:38 AM   #4

To be clear, almost all digital cameras already have UV filters built-in to their image sensors, so conventional UV filters are superfluous. The only reason to use a UV filter is if you need a stronger UV filter than the one that's part of your camera. (Putting a conventional UV filter on the lens doesn't block more UV than the UV filter your camera already has.) (Strong UV filters can be used to reduce 'Purple Fringing' but they can make everything appear yellowish.)

If you want to protect your lens, then get a multicoated protection filter, and don't worry about UV.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:17 PM   #5

I always use clear or UV filters on my lenses. I use them to protect the lens glass.

I don't have experience with Hoya filters.

The brand I use are German made B + W filters which are very good quality.

There appear to be two schools of thought about using filters for protection on the end of lenses.

Some feel the lens should not have any additional glass over the end of the lens, for fear the filter maybe negate the optical qualities of the lens.

Others feel that additional protection a filter may afford, of an expensive lens is worthwhile. As long as a top quality filter is used, those in this school of thought feel that any image degradation would be negligible at best.

I fall into the second camp.

In the course of well over 40 odd years of photography, both as part of my job and as an avid hobbyist...I have always put on top quality filters to protect my expensive lenses.

My lens glass over these many years, remains unscathed.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:35 PM   #6

If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:12 PM   #7

I have always been of the 'no filter' school, unless I needed one for a specific purpose. Keeping sand and grit off the lens when shooting dirt track or off-road racing, or at the beach, or pictures of welding, etc., fall into that category. See the news item on Steve's main page about shooting burning steel wool, for a good example. OTOH, stray light is more of a problem with filters, and can make for some difficult lens flare issues.
Used appropriately, filters are are a good idea, and as TCav says- use a good one.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:09 AM   #8

UV filters wont protect you from glare and you'll increase chances of lens flare. Get a lens hood and use it - it will do a better job.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
UV filters wont protect you from glare ...
While a UV filter will limit some glare, most image sensors already have UV filters, so a conventional UV filter won't provide any additional protection. (And if you have one of the few cameras with sensors that don't have UV filters, it's probably because you want to record the UV light, so using a UV filter would be counterproductive.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Get a lens hood and use it - it will do a better job.
Certainly, while using a lens hood is better than not using one, lens hoods on zoom lenses are designed to limit off axis light from entering the optics. Since they are designed not to obstruct the view at the lens' shortest focal length, they are less effective at longer focal lengths.

But lens hoods do provide a level of physical protection for a lens, and they do so without reducing image quality.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:35 PM   #10

Default We should know this

As often as UV filters are used people should know about them. I have read and it is true that all glass stops some UV light however that is not enough.

The CCD/Cmos is not coated as I have read on the net but the lens as in film may be coated for some UV light.

It is my experience with my new sx40hs camera that a UV filter is essential in digital photography.

I came to this conclusion after having used a Hoya Pro1 digital clear filter and a much cheaper UV filter from zeikos. The test photos where taken on a beach on a cloudy day and all the settings where the same in each photo. I took photos with out any filter with the clear filter and with the UV filter and the difference was undeniable. The UV filter was a great improvement.

I do believe that it is possible for a heavy UV filter to effect the White Balance of a digital camera but I did not buy such a filter so I don't know, however I think one would know if it was that type of filter for one would be buying a special UV filter designed for a special task.

The amount of misinformation about this is truly remarkable and supports the assertion that one should not believe what one reads on the internet. One should check it out for themselves.
mwda is offline   Reply With Quote