Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:12 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Interesting, isn't it?

I'm not familiar with the Nikon focus system, but Canon has focus modes which are focus-priority and others which are FPS priority. In the former the shutter will not release until it is happy it has a "lock", in the latter it gets as close as it can in the time available then trips the shutter - in challenging conditions that may not be "perfect".

People sometimes forget that an important advantage of using "fast" lenses is not that you necessarily want to shoot wide open, but that your camera will focus a lot better because it will focus using the maximum aperture then stop down only as you trip the shutter.

Last edited by peripatetic; Feb 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:15 PM   #22

Nikons too have focus priority, of which I used when doing this whole deal. I wonder if there is a ratio of focal length or distance from subject to the amount of off focus that I witnessed. Another words, does the issues of back or front focus increase or diminish with distance from a subject. Iam refering to primes here not teleies that I understand to have a tendency to shift a bit at different focal lengths.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:55 AM   #23
Super Moderator

Well, because apparent Depth Of Field increases with distance to the subject, the effect is far more noticable at close distances.