Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:20 AM   #1

Default Changing my almost 1-year-old Canon A70

Ok, so I've been using the Canon Powershot A70 for almost one year. I liked the camera, the photo quality is good, in fact I think its the best camera on this price range.

But I want more. I was looking some other cameras:

- Canon Powershot G5
- Nikon Coolpix 5700
- Sony DCS-F717
- Fuji Finepix S7000

I can get all of them around 550~650 usd :shock: . I read some reviews, Sony and Nikon seems the best. I photograph family, nature, sunsets and sunrises, city at night.

What do you guys think? Its a good idea to change my A70 for one of these or I'm making a big mistake changing it? Thanks for any comments! 8)
Robest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:59 AM   #2

You should also look at the Minolta A1 as in this catagory.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:52 AM   #3

I have the 5700 and love the camera. It does require a learning curve to use the camera as it was intended. The A1 has a stablized ccd which the 5700 does not. It also cost several hundred more. I agree that you should look at it as another option.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:16 AM   #4

From what I see of the online retailers, the price of the 5700 and A1 are pretty close. Pricegrabber.com shows them to be within the same price range depending on where you get it. The 5700 does have a $100 rebate which brings the price below the A1 by that amount.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:19 PM   #5

The price of the A1 is actually cheaper on www.buydig.com than the 5700 if you don't include the $100rebate. With the rebate (WHICH ENDS ON FRIDAY - but perhaps Nikon will then drop the price - who knows) the 5700 is a little cheaper.
I looked at both cameras - liked them both. My SLR and previous digital camera was a Nikon - had good luck with both so was leaning towards the Nikon but the multi-autofocus modes and the stabilization of the A1 swayed me in that direction so I ended up with the A1.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:16 PM   #6

I don't live in United States. It's Brazil here folks, and all my options are these: Canon G5, Nikon 5700, Sony F717 and the Fuji S7000. There is no Minolta reseller here.

G5 is the cheapest and it's in Steve's Best of 2003. The Sony model has great image quality and Nikon is a great camera too.

But does it worth to spend another 300 or 400 dollars to get any of these and sell my old Canon A70?
Robest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:47 PM   #7

I've got a 717 and I'm really happy with it. Sure it has only 5x zoom but it is an excellent prosumer camera. The image quality is amazing. You can see some of my pictures at my website www.freewebs.com/rsphotography. I'm a beginner in photography so I'm not even using it to its full advantage. I highly recommend it and since Sony is attempting to clear out its inventory you can get some good rebates.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote