Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Better Photo.com

Hi,

Has anyone taken online courses from Better Photo.com? I see they now have a new Master Photographer Training program that I am interested in? Does anyone know if their courses are worthwhile & if you would recommend them?

Thanks

Janice
jvanwees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:22 PM   #2

i think there are enough free online tutorials kicking around if you want to learn techniques online, on forums or on youtube. i would say if you want to take a photography course sign up with a local photography club and do it that way.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
i think there are enough free online tutorials kicking around if you want to learn techniques online, on forums or on youtube. i would say if you want to take a photography course sign up with a local photography club and do it that way.
I would have to agree. There is a wealth of knowledge on you tube along with some well known names. Like everything else, there are some bad ones. Just steer clear of those.....
Vision of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:10 PM   #4

I need something to keep me motivated though & with an online course you have assignments to do & get feeback on them. There is not much available in photography courses in the city I live in.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:27 PM   #5

BetterPhoto.com is from Jim Miotke, a published, professional photographer.

Why don't you look around at other stuff he's got on-line, and see what you think of that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:37 PM   #6

If you are just looking for self improvement, I would suggest the free resources available online, including getting involved with some of the discussion groups here and other places that have monthly photo challenges. These are usually in the camera specific groups, and user moderated. Good way to get feedback and suggestions on improvement. Sites such as Luminous Landscape have good articles on the various aspects, from beginner to advanced.
If you want credentials, I would suggest starting with your community college system, most of which have online courses available.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:15 PM   #7

I live in Canada & could not find any colleges that offered photography courses online. I did find one university in the U.S. & the Academy of Art University but the tuition for the one in the U.S. is about $80,000 & the Academy of Art is about $20,000. The courses from Better Photo.com seem a bit pricey but are not anywhere near that expensive. The thing about a course is I will have assignments to do & it will help to keep me motivated & make me find the time to take photos & I will have to take a variety of photos using various techniques etc.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanwees View Post
I live in Canada & could not find any colleges that offered photography courses online. I did find one university in the U.S. & the Academy of Art University but the tuition for the one in the U.S. is about $80,000 & the Academy of Art is about $20,000. The courses from Better Photo.com seem a bit pricey but are not anywhere near that expensive. The thing about a course is I will have assignments to do & it will help to keep me motivated & make me find the time to take photos & I will have to take a variety of photos using various techniques etc.
I think Red River College (Winnipeg) offers a photography course. Don't know if it is offered online, but here is the link. You could see if it's what you want and contact them to see if they offer it online, if this course meets your needs.

Hope this helps.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...IlJO3Q&cad=rja
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:57 AM   #9

If you are in or around Toronto:
So does Ryerson University in Toronto, but that is also a very expensive multi year certificate if you peruse the full course.
http://ce-online.ryerson.ca/ce/default.aspx?id=3170

Ryerson University also offer four workshops that are around 475$ each, that might be of interest.
http://ce-online.ryerson.ca/ce/default.aspx?id=3172
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:27 PM   #10

I know that UCLA Extension has three photography courses out of their certificate program that are offered on-line. I keep thinking about taking one but haven't done it. It always seems like I'm having a temporary budget shortfall whenever it's registration time, but one of these days...

Here's a link to use to browse their on-line classes:

https://www.uclaextension.edu/r/Brow...showtab=online
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote