Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:12 PM   #1
BDD

Default Picassa 3 and purple tint

I imported photos taken with my new Canon s100 P&S and for some reason all the photos had a light purple hint on them. Which was not seen when I viewed the same photos using Canon's Digital Photo Professional or browser software. Is there a setting in P3 I need to turn off? What gives?
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:16 PM   #2
BDD

I imported some photos into P3 for the first time (Canon s100, RAW). All the photos had a purple tint on them. Is there a setting in P3 I have to turn on or off?

When I viewed these photos using Canon's Digital Photo Pro the photos were fine. No purple tint. Looked as they did on the LCD screen on the back of the camera.

What gives??

Last edited by BDD; Mar 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:44 PM   #3
Administrator

The internal structure of the RAW files is proprietary, and Canon doesn't publish info about things like byte offsets used for the RGB multipliers for a camera's as shot White Balance (or other information about how the data is being stored).

As a result, software developers have to "reverse engineer" formats from newer camera models, often using trial and error to figure out what the camera manufacturers are doing, and it can take a little while before new cameras are fully supported by third party raw conversion software. All raw files are not the same, even if they're the same extension (.cr2, etc.). ;-)

I noticed some posts about your issue in this thread I found with a quick search:

http://support.google.com/picasa/bin...lease_notes.cs

But, it looks like the latest posts are discussing trying 135.80 builds and I see a newer 135.81 build mentioned in the Release Notes here:

http://support.google.com/picasa/bin...lease_notes.cs

So, you might want to check what Build of 3.9 you're running (it's probably shown under Help>About) and update it if it's not the current build (or download it again and the installer should get you a newer build if you don't already have the latest one).

If it's still broken, they may not have fully debugged converting raw files from that camera yet. Each new camera requires code modifications for proper conversion of raw files, especially when changes are made so that the files are not identical internally to other cameras that they may base the code on.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:52 PM   #4
BDD

Thanks JimC. Turns out I wasn't even running 3.9 But 3.8. So, I upgraded the version/build (135.86). Will this build be recent enough? Will find out tomorrow when I take a few more test shots and import them into P3. How I managed to d/l 3.8 I don't know. I only installed P3 maybe 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by BDD; Mar 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:29 PM   #5

I had the same problem with the Picassa.
I switched to the FastStone Image Viewer and the Resizer and the problem is gone.
I am mighty happy with the FSIV.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:45 PM   #6
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
I had the same problem with the Picassa.
I switched to the FastStone Image Viewer and the Resizer and the problem is gone.
I am mighty happy with the FSIV.
I guess you didn't later try installing a more recent version/build of P3?

I'll see what happens with P3 tomorrow now that I've upgraded to the latest ver/build. If the purple tint disappears then I'll keep P3 on my Win7 laptop. If not, I'll check FastStone (if free). As I said, I already have 2 up-to-date Canon software that work (no tint on photos)
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:25 AM   #7

FSIV is free.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_fa..._image_viewer/
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:33 AM   #8
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
Just noticed it's freeware when I d/l it. And it WORKS!! No more purple tint. Odd Google's P3 doesn't. You would think they would be up to date with their builds. Supporting all the new cameras.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:53 AM   #9
Administrator

Blame the camera manufacturers. They don't document their raw file formats, requiring a lot of work by developers to support each new camera by analyzing the raw file contents to try and figure out how the data from the sensor is being stored.

It can be even harder to interpret the proprietary maker notes information in the EXIF metadata (camera settings used for things like focus modes, tone curves, etc.), where developers often need to use a "trial and error" approach to figure out where and how information about a camera setting is being stored, by taking lots of test photos varying settings and looking at what changes in files.

There was a big revolt a few years back when Nikon starting encrypting the RGB multipliers being used for White Balance in their .nef files (requiring developers to work at breaking the encryption before they could interpret the WB settings in .nef files without using Nikon's software or Software Developer kits), and a new site called http://www.openraw.org was formed then. But, there hasn't been a lot of progress in that area since then.

What it boils down to is that Nikon, Canon, Sony and others don't publish how a lot of the data is stored in their raw files.

So, it often takes a while before third party software fully supports raw files from a new camera model, determining the type of compression if any that's being used, the pixel layout being stored to determine what type of demosaic algorithm is needed, how things like the "as shot" white balance is being stored in the metadata so that the correct RGB multipliers are being applied to correct for color differences in various lighting conditions, etc. How the RGB mulitpliers are being stored is probably what's causing the purple images you're seeing, as even though some software may be able to convert the images, they're probably looking at the wrong byte offsets for the RGB multipliers needed to use the as shot white balance settings.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:17 AM   #10
BDD

Perhaps, Google should hire the team from FSIV. They were on time for "wanaclick" (not sure which camera) and for my new Canon s100.

Any how the purple tint issue has been solved. For me and wanaclick. And all the others that will run into this problem who come across this thread.