Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:32 PM   #21

Sure, it's annoying to see the same question posted again and again, particularly when you know YOU'D never do that, but we're all coming from a position of knowledge, a position that not a single one of us was born with. These poor new folks are absolutely lost, not knowing enough even to ask the right questions.

Ever hear that old adage about the only stupid question being the one not asked?

I do rather like that suggestion of a questionnaire. Maybe it could be a "sticky" thread where it's clearly explained that the newbies should copy and paste it into their own posts.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:47 PM   #22

I agree B, we are all here to share knowledge. And deep down, we are all newbs who are here to learn from each other.

But we also need to remember whose website this is. I believe it was Steve who posted a sticky saying not to post WSIB questions.

Some sort of a questionnaire might do the job. Maybe a questionnaire and a specific WSIB group? That way people could check that group as they see fit?

It is all really hard to "police" without a full-time moderator. Just like the dirty language subject talked about last week.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:43 PM   #23
-jb

It seems to me that the Newbie Help forum is the place for WSIB questions.

The other issue is as old as online forums and bulletin board systems. Whenever there is a General Q&A forum at the top of the forum list, lots of people post everything there. It's just the way it is.

I'd say avoid these two forums if you don't want to see WSIB questions... If someone posts one in one of the more specialized forums... avoid it if you don't want to answer... Digital cameras are expanding explosively... Newbies will be drawn to Steve's because it's a friendly place to get good advice... WSIB questions will be here for quite a while...

Now should I buy the new EOS 1Dn that's coming out in a couple of weeks or maybe the 10D update... or maybe the...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:40 PM   #24

There are too many people asking "What Camera" and although I can understand this, it is often better to make a list of the things you want to be able to do with the camera then head for the internet and check out the cameras. For me this is how I started out a few years back with a digital camera, my first was a canon sureshot A10 with only 1.3 mega pixels and I still use it as a snapshot camera. When I had mastered that and got more interested in digital cameras I went looking through camera shops and found my G3 which so far, I love. I will eventually go for a digital SLR but I have found that just by looking into forums like this you can see how many people have different opinions and no one camera will suit everyone. So maybe it's a good thing steve would prefer that this question is not continually asked in these forums.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 4:01 AM   #25

You know, I'm a new guy here and I have to coin in on this, cause I was one of those people who asked the WSIB question. Although mine was more of a "which one is better" pic quality-wise. I was shocked that after my question was posted, another discussion was posted requesting to not post such questions. What's tough is, this question can have so many derivatives that many can be translated to it, but isn't that was a forum like this if for? To try and get some help?

When you're new to this, you are tying to make a good decision on a relatively big investment. You want to try your best to cover all avenues before making a decision, but here it seems I have so much apprehension to posting a question because of attitudes towards such things. Obviously i read all the reviews, i've narrowed my choices. I'm just looking for some reccomendations and advise, but apparently that's taboo to do here. Kind of a shame, cause as a newbie it really feels like we are not welcome unless we ask the right questions. I guess here, the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" doesn't count.

With that though, this'll be my last post here, adios people. Thanks to all those that have helped.
Gizmofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:00 AM   #26

Forgive me Father for I have sinned - I too had the audacity to once ask for help in selecting a camera. I am sorry. Oh sure, I asked my question in a forum called "Newbie Help," thinking that perhaps the purpose of such a forum was to help complete idiots like myself who asked stupid questions. Indeed, my question wasn't as vague as just a simple "What camera should I buy,", rather it was asking advice between two specific models that I had narrowed my choice to after hours and hours of research. But still, I know I was wrong and I know it was hurtful to those senior members who have no time for such trivial matters. I had tried to do my homework, I had read all that I could find on both models in this and other forums, I had printed out a ream of reviews from this and other similar websites, but still I wasn't smart enough to make the decision on my own. You see, with no less than four independent reviews of the cameras in question, there was often directly conflicting information between the reviews. And so too were there often conflicting comments and opinions in the various owners forums. And so I made my terrible mistake, I asked for opinions between two specific models. I know I shouldnt have done it but I was weak. I thought that maybe in a forum called Newbie Help that it would be ok to ask for help since I was (and am) a Newbie. I didn't mean to offend. I'm sure that I wasn't specific enough, that I didn't detail every possible use of a camera, but maybe I had subconsciously thought that the sage experts here would be able to tell from the two models that I was asking about what type of camera I was looking for. Maybe there shouldn't even be a forum for Newbie Help as I now understand that we shouldn't ask anything until we are fully educated.

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.
hendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:23 AM   #27

One the solutions on another board visit regularely is, 1 continuous "What should i buy" thread, with a compulsory "fill in form" with questions like budget, level of photographer, the two or three camera's you can't decide between, ect.

All new threads about WSIB are closed as fast as possible reffering to the main "WSIB" thread.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:51 AM   #28

Hendo,

I am glad you asked

Please remain with the forum!

I look forward to your photos if you choose to post them.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:21 AM   #29

I think that Gizmofreak's post points to something very important: the discussion concerning what a newbie should ask or not ask is leaving a bad taste in the mouths of newcomers and, to tell you the truth, some not-so-newcomers.

If you don't want to help these people, if you don't want to lead them toward asking better questions, then at least don't make disparaging remarks about their supposedly annoying lack of knowledge.

Yeah, I'm annoyed. :evil:

Edit: It seems that either Gizmofreak deleted his own post or someone else deleted it. That's too bad.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Edit: It seems that either Gizmofreak deleted his own post or someone else deleted it. That's too bad.
His post is still there -- it's just on the bottom of page 1.

And I have to say I whole heartedly agree with Gizmo, and I too hope he sticks around. If all the people who want to learn, and all the people who are willing to help get frustrated and leave, then nobody (but the grumps) win.

The solution is simple. First of all, since it's Steve's board, he has the right to determine what takes place here. Should he decide to allow WSIB posts, or posts where the ignorant try to become enlightened, then those who don't care for such posts can just skip over those.

There are plenty of posts/forums on this board that don't interest me. I don't own a Nikon, and have no interest in discussing them. So, instead of complaining that all of the Nikon people are wasting space on this board talking about things that don't interest me, I ignore those posts. I would never think to demand that people stop asking questions about a specific topic, or delete certain threads just because I don't feel like "wading through" all of those "pointless, annoying posts." Just because they are pointless and annoying to me, it doesn't mean they are pointless and annoying to other people.
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote