Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:20 PM   #31
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmofreak
but isn't that was a forum like this if for? To try and get some help?
It's the General Q&A forum. Any question or posting is fair game here.

That means it's OK for people to ask WSIB questions here and it's OK for people to complain about people asking WSIB questions here. This discussion is about improving the experience for Newbies and forum Regulars. Steve's Digicams needs both kind of people... Newbies buy cameras through his links using recomendations from his reviews and knowledge from experienced forum members.

Quote:
When you're new to this, you are tying to make a good decision on a relatively big investment. You want to try your best to cover all avenues before making a decision, but here it seems I have so much apprehension to posting a question because of attitudes towards such things.
I think the appresension to What Should I Buy questions is when there is no thought to them... Just a general WSIB. Even then, someone usually answers them and asks detailed questions to get them posting the right information so people can figure out what's best to suggest for them.

Quote:
Obviously i read all the reviews, i've narrowed my choices. I'm just looking for some reccomendations and advise, but apparently that's taboo to do here.
You are in the minority; not the kind of person the original poster was taking issue with. Most people don't read the reviews first.

Quote:
With that though, this'll be my last post here, adios people. Thanks to all those that have helped.
That would be a shame... Steve's can always use new, knowledgable people like you... Give it another shot...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendo
Forgive me Father for I have sinned - I too had the audacity to once ask for help in selecting a camera. I am sorry. Oh sure, I asked my question in a forum called "Newbie Help," thinking that perhaps the purpose of such a forum was to help complete idiots like myself who asked stupid questions..
I was under the impression that it was ok to ask anything in the newbie forum and that it was only THIS forum that they did not want these questions in, correct me if I am wrong.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:38 AM   #33

How about a "What is the WORST camera to buy" thread??
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:34 PM   #34

Default Be tolerant

You know...I am not an advanced camera user, but I'd like to be. How can I? I could research, read reviews, TALK to others etc...But whether persons read many reviews as I have and gone through a gamut of websites, one of the best ways of determining if something is good or best for you is through asking others with know-how and experience.

I hear many of you responding sayin you "don't mind" answering. I have posted two topics in the WSIB category. Mine though, have been more thorough and included more choices of cameras. However, I have received a mere 2 answers. I don't get it. I included what I looked for, price range and so on and listed close to 10 cameras I was reviewing and still only 2 responses. I appreciated them...but only one out of 2 was helpful.

There is no need to be hotheaded about newbies asking for help. What is a forum all about anyways? Just a bunch of digi-heads chattering about things they already know? Isn't that b-o-r-i-n-g? And I find it sad that Steve himself posted "Do Not ask WSIB questions". Why not? What if a reader of your site needs clarification on one of your reviews or wants testimonials? These little things will go a long way to making more happy customers and more members of the Digital Camera world.

We need to be slow to be angry about trivial things like these. I do admit, some persons go over the top with vague questions, but direct your heat to them and do not generalize, as you DO have others with worthy questions/queries. No point in having so-called knowledge and bottling it up. Use it for yourself and (yes) others. Don't be selfish.

Now...for anyone on here who would be willing to help a youngster decide on a digital camera, please PM me, so I can avoid the flack. I am narrowing my choices more and more...but as with others...I want to ensure I get the best for my money.
Jamaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:55 PM   #35

Man, this has become a heated post.

I think many people may have misconstrued the whole situation. This is a forum, and forums are here for all to learn. Even an aspiring newb as myself.

I think Steve may have originally posted the "No WSIB" posts because he saw a growing trend of those posts. Maybe he didn't want the forums over-run with those topics???

I think we should take the advice of some of the previous posts and help out those looking for a new camera. Lets create a survey that will help people narrow down their choices. Steve could also create a "Reviews" section where people could post their own reviews/opinions on digicams they own or have experience with. This way people looking for a new cam can go to that section and learn what others have to say.

We are definitely not trying to shoe the newbs away. We are all newbs in one form or another. We all have a ton to learn from each other here.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 2:55 PM   #36

Over in the Newbie forum is "What Should I Buy: the Answer" which is turning into a really decent thread on how to figure out what sort of camera is suitable. Not only should it be interesting to newbies, but it has worthwhile info in it for not-so-newbies.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:52 PM   #37

Default Re: Be tolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaica
... Mine though, have been more thorough and included more choices of cameras. However, I have received a mere 2 answers. I don't get it. I included what I looked for, price range and so on and listed close to 10 cameras I was reviewing and still only 2 responses. ...
How many people do you think have save hands on experience with even two current cameras, let alone ten? The only likely folks are reviewers like Steve, and they have written their findings. Reading all of those is a head spinning experience, but that is where the knowledgable folks write.

I am surprised that there could even be two responses.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:05 PM   #38

either that or the person thats lucky enough to work at a camera shop, and play whilst working
:arrow: me!
otherwise i think i would be more clueless than most.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:27 AM   #39

A local camera shop is a very good source of information, though likely to be limited to the choice of cameras at hand. Talking to sales staff is a good way to learn about things, but it is a good idea to check what they say against a few reviews.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
A local camera shop is a very good source of information, though likely to be limited to the choice of cameras at hand. Talking to sales staff is a good way to learn about things, but it is a good idea to check what they say against a few reviews.
Yes, always be careful of what salespeople say, maybe not so much in a real camera shop, but most definitely in electronics/computer stores. They often hire know-it-alls who will feed you garbage information with the utmost confidence. Test it yourself. Ask them questions, the answers to which you already know. My brother recently had a salesman tell him that, when he buys a new computer, there will be no way of transferring data from his old hard drive to his new one. I guess my son and I recently did this using are ability in witchcraft.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote