Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Full-frame cameras & crop lenses

Question for anyone who has the gear and has tried this out. If you have a full frame body, and use a crop lens, will the vignetting go away if you use a teleconverter equivalent to the crop factor? It should, according to optical theory, but I don't have the gear to try it out, and was curious, as sometimes theory and practice don't work out exactly.

Conversely, why haven't the manufacturers produced a wide converter for full frame lenses to reduce the image size to fit crop cameras? In theory this would eliminate the crop factor conversion, and, by concentrating the light, increase the lens' aperture. Wouldn't it be nice to turn that 50mm f/1.4 into an f/1 lens?

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:57 PM   #2

G'day Brian

great ideas there - the idea of a lens becoming 'better' is intriguing

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Conversely, why haven't the manufacturers produced a wide converter for full frame lenses to reduce the image size to fit crop cameras? In theory this would eliminate the crop factor conversion, and, by concentrating the light, increase the lens' aperture. Wouldn't it be nice to turn that 50mm f/1.4 into an f/1 lens?

brian
There are several patents for this so I guess the holders wanted too much for the license!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Question for anyone who has the gear and has tried this out. If you have a full frame body, and use a crop lens, will the vignetting go away if you use a teleconverter equivalent to the crop factor? It should, according to optical theory, but I don't have the gear to try it out, and was curious, as sometimes theory and practice don't work out exactly.
brian
It depends on if you keep the f-stop the same or if you allow the converter to add its light loss to the lens. If you open the aperture to keep the same f-stop after the converter, vignetting will generally be worse. If you allow the converter to loose the light, the vignetting will generally become less noticable.

Quote:

brian
Barlow adapters are something that would have to be designed per lens, and zooms would be very difficult. That's why its not commonly seen as an adapter mounted between the camera and lens.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Mar 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:44 PM   #5

APS-C only lenses project a smaller image at the focal plane than 'Full Frame' lenses. Teleconverters don't change that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
APS-C only lenses project a smaller image at the focal plane than 'Full Frame' lenses. Teleconverters don't change that.
That is exactly what they do. Take a look at one. It is essentially a reducing lens. It spreads the light over a larger area. This is what causes (most of) the light loss.

brian
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:10 PM   #7

Quote:
That is exactly what they do. Take a look at one. It is essentially a reducing lens. It spreads the light over a larger area. This is what causes (most of) the light loss.
If anything, a teleconverter is a magnifying lens, not a reducing lens. The light loss is a result of the longer focal length and the narrower angle of view.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:06 AM   #8

A camera lens is made to project an image onto the film plane of the camera. One way to make a larger image on that film plane, is to move the lens further from the film plane, as with extension tubes. Much like moving the overhead projector further from the screen. In a camera, this loses you the ability to focus to infinity, though, so you place the teleconverter between the lens and the film plane. It makes the image at the film plane larger by diverging the light. A magnifying lens would make the projected image smaller, causing vignetting. (which is what I was saying in the second case, of full frame lenses on crop cameras)

brian
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
A camera lens is made to project an image onto the film plane of the camera. One way to make a larger image on that film plane, is to move the lens further from the film plane, as with extension tubes.
brian
Your image becomes duller and more difficult to focus.
Crop lens's are designed for crop sensor cameras.

If i own a full frame camera, i have either more money than sense, or im serious about image quality. Finding a way to fit a crop sensor in front of that full sensor will most definately cause loss of quality.

The only reason id try to fit a crop lens on would be to save money, and you know the saying buy cheap, buy twice. You will end up realizing you are not getting the quality available, and just coughing up for the full frame lens's (thats not saying crop lens's are cheap, i know there are some awesome ones, but they are awesome on a crop camera, not a full frame).

If i have a full frame, i will buy lens's designed for that full frame, not some stopgap measure that lets me use more gear, but gives poorer images.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:30 PM   #10

How nice for you.
The question was prompted by this post:http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...-question.html
I was curious as to whether anyone had any direct experience with t/c and digital lenses on full frame cameras, not what someone thinks of the combination. Seems my curiosity will go unsatisfied.

brian