Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Somehow, I can't read into the original post that Grounded is a commercial/professional photographer who needs to have a backup camera with him at all times. Maybe 'spare' camera is more what was meant, but it was quite understandable.

Let's try another scenario: you are hiking with your camera(s) and fall into a rocky stream. Hiker A had one camera and lens damaged - a shame, but he has a spare camera at home. Hiker B had two cameras, with lenses, and a camera bag with spare lenses and other gear. Which one was stupid?

brian

Can we stop throwing around the word "Stupid" please? This agro is not warranted.

In this scenario, i would have my little S90 with me. So i can continue to get images on my hike. I can then head to the photography store the next day and buy a new camera, in the knowledge its warranty starts from when i buy it, and has not been wasting away in a box in my press.

Do what suits you best guys, there are no hard rules in this game! If it suits you to have a spare camera in a box at home, go for it! Il happily admit that i keep a spare pair of trainers in a box at home "just in case"!

Last edited by schmintan; Mar 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:22 PM   #12

I agree with schmintan do whatever fits your needs, don't put down others for having different views & needs.
For me it is making images over the equipments safety.

On rivers, or when water is involved, LowePro DryZone bags and Pelican cases are your friend.

Going a bit off-topic here
Kayaking I just use a lower end xxD body on a cotton chest carrier and a spare in a dry bag, picked that up from Jerry as in the link below.
I have yet to unintentionally do a roll since I have built up my skills over the years, though I have probably cursed myself now.
With this unseasonably warm weather we are having I am just itching to get the kayaks out on the water.
Here is a neat video on kayaking with a dslr by Pro eco-photographer Jerry Monkman
http://vimeo.com/25415581

Last edited by PeterP; Mar 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:20 PM   #13

My apologys if I have upset anyone, to the subject, I am not a proffesional photographer, I just take pictures for pleasure as do most of us do, however I have worked with a few pro's and don't recall any of them carrying a second camera, though they may have had one in their car, that by the way was before digital cameras were even thought of. I do carry a little pocket camera, but that is not really a substitute for a good modern bridge model. In retrospect I should have used the word spare as VT suggested.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:27 PM   #14

I have three DSLR's and I use them all. A lot of times I carry 2 DSLR's to a photo opportunity...each one with a different lens.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:18 PM   #15

G'day Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grounded View Post
... I have worked with a few pro's and don't recall any of them carrying a second camera, though they may have had one in their car, .....
Most wedding 'togs I see on my rounds have 2 cameras in use - different lenses etc > first time I asked one the Q he quickly came back with 'don't have to worry about dust & the unnecessary hours of work involved to erase spots later on ... ' It worked for him

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:59 PM   #16

I always carry a spare camera with me (at times it may be in the car) but I always carry a spare when I got complete with charged battery and full memory card. Although the back-up camera is no way as perfect as the main camera but it can do in a pinch and get decent pictures and the back-up camera is water proof so in a rain or snow storm it can act as my main camera.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
I always carry a spare camera with me (at times it may be in the car) but I always carry a spare when I got complete with charged battery and full memory card. Although the back-up camera is no way as perfect as the main camera but it can do in a pinch and get decent pictures and the back-up camera is water proof so in a rain or snow storm it can act as my main camera.

dave
Dont you mean empty memory card?
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:27 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grounded View Post
however I have worked with a few pro's and don't recall any of them carrying a second camera, though they may have had one in their car, that by the way was before digital cameras were even thought of.
I think you are right that back in film days a lot of wedding togs had their camera with them and spare stuff in the car. Now it is pretty common for a wedding tog to have 2 bodies with them at all times.

I use the Black Rapid Duel strap system with a 5DmkII hanging off either side, one with a wide/normal lens (24-105, 35mm f1.4, 17-40) and one with something longer (70-200mm f2.8, 135mm f2 etc). I also have a 5D out with another wide/normal lens on (as well as a flash) during the ceremony just in case the first body goes down.

IMHO, and getting back to the initial point, I see no problem with having a spare body if you really need, one, however, as prices are always dropping and you are not shooting professionally, why bother, just buy a replacement if there is a major issue.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Dont you mean empty memory card?
Yeah that is what I meant to say..... not sure what I was thinking at the time to type that.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote