Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:15 PM   #1

Default Lens Coats that my wife made for me

I have been wanting Camo Lens coats for my lenses for quite some time now, but I didn't want to pay the costly prices that they were asking for them. The other day while surfing the net I found a website that sold the Neoprene Material to make the coats.
So my wife and I ordered the material and when it came in we set to making our Prototypes. They came out Awesome!

My L series lenses: Back row Left to right:
Canon 70-200 f/4
Canon 400 F/5.6
Canon 300 F/4 IS
Front row: 1.4X L extender, 2X L Extender

My wife did a superb job of making them.

Dick
2 Canon 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:06 AM   #2

When i read the post title i thought you meant your wife made lens coatings, like canon apply to their glass elements to improve light transmission and what not!!!

I was going to ask for details as to what your wife worked at and for detailed pixel peeping results from the lens's!!!

Regardless, your new lens covers are really cool! they look professional. you probably wouldnt get anything of any better quality if you went to a shop and paid for it.

Well done to your wife!
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:32 AM   #3

Good job! They look great. I've been a big proponent of DIY photography accessories ever since "getting serious" about it. This just reinforces my thinking. Thanks for sharing.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:58 AM   #4

That's great!
I always thought the commercial ones were on the very overpriced side.

Where did you find the neoprene camo material?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5

Thank you everyone! I'll pass the compliments on to my wife. We have always made a lot of our own things, but this is the first time we have ventured into the photo accessories. I thought the commercial lens coats were way over priced, so I didn't ever buy one. (granted, they came up with the original idea and developed the product. Plus they are trying to make a living at it.)

Peter,
I found the material at http://www.seattlefabrics.com . We ordered the 3 mm. thickness material in the Brown Marsh grass with Black backing. For all the lenses in the photo we didn't even use all of the 18" X 24" material. Cost with shipping was about $15.

Dick
2 Canon 7D Cameras, Canon 5D Mark II Camera, Canon 17-40 F/4 L lens, 2 Canon 24-105 L lens, Canon 70-200 f/4 L lens, Canon 300 f/4 IS L lens, Canon 400 f/4 L lens, Canon 1.4X L extender, Canon 2X L extender, Canon 430 EX Flash, Canon 530 EX Flash
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote