Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Scanner for photos

I need a good scanner to archive family photos. My old canon is not up to the task. What do you recommend?

Under $1000 is mandatory. Under $500 vastly preferred.
usb 3 would be nice. Usb 2 at the minimum.
A high dpi count would be good but it seems like they are all high enough these days.
I guess that tiff output is optimal for photo-shopping. Any advice on that?

We have a few slides, and a few negatives, but this will be almost entirely photo scans.

Thanks for the help!

Jim
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2

I should add, win 7, 64 bit compatible would be good too.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:25 PM   #3

I have done 2 Family photo scan in the past, both of which were all film prints that varied from 8.5x11 down to 3x5 prints. Both using an HP all in one scanner/copier and printer. I will add that I found scanning at 1200dpi took a real long time per image vs scanning at 600dpi. After doing some tests I ended up scanning as jpgs at 600dpi and I liked the results I got. I had no plans to print any of the images but to view them on my PC and to send discs of the images to other family members. I will also add that between the two projects I scanned over 1,500 images and it took me over 6 months to get them all scanned/titled and sorted into folders.

Good luck and I hope that the time required per print won't get you frustrated.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:59 AM   #4

Depending on what you need to scan I've liked the upper models in the Epson V series like the v700 and the v750.
They are fast, have a high 4.0 dmax and come with digital ice and silverfast se6
Both will do prints, negatives and slides up to 8 by 10 in size.
Both are only USB 2 or firewire.

For prints scanning at 600dpi is good, and is about double what most paper prints can resolve to..

http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/...sku=B11B178011
http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/...sku=B11B178061

They are listing for 519$ and 720$ respectively at B&H
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:52 AM   #5

If all you want to do is scan photos, there's little that distinguishes a $100 scanner from a $1,000 scanner. The trick here is that you want to scan slides and negatives too.

If you don't have a lot of them, pay someone else to do it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:13 AM   #6

I just bought and am very happy with Epson V500. It does prints, slides and film scanning. And its all very easy and quick.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:45 AM   #7

I have had an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo I.C.E.for a while now and I had done loads with it with very good results, I paid 129 = $200 or so. It scans most negatives 35mm etc, even old box Brownie negatives which is why I mainly wanted it.I also have an Epson Stylus Photo RX520 for my printing which also scans and copies but does not do many negative sizes.Hence the 4490. I'm not sure about the economics of home printing any more, because the cost of ink is getting silly and the printing people have got a lot cheaper now.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:32 PM   #8

Thanks for all the advice so far. My wife's mom passed recently and we're looking to distribute the family history in photographs. The plan is to scan everything at print quality or better to allow some manipulation (editing, cleaning). This gives us the option to print, though most wont go any further than an HD DVD.

Dave- I don't have a count on how many photos there are. It only covers a 100 years of family history, so how bad could that be? Some are photos printed on tin.

Tcav- That's good to know. I was wondering if the twin sensor in the higher end Epsons would make a difference, but honestly, the old Canon scanner did well. The Canon hazed over, under the class, a known issue with that model, hence my lean towards Epson.

Bynx- Deadshot- I'm eyeing the V500 as well. A V600 exists, but doesn't seem to have any enhanced functionality, rather it comes with a newer copy of photoshop. The V700 has a dual sensor approach, but I can't see that being worth triple the price.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:12 PM   #9

The higher resolutions that some scanners are capable of are just from interpolation anyway. Get yourself a good basic flat-bed scanner for the photos, and pack up your slides and negatives and take them somewhere that can scan them professionally. The slides and negatives are going to be the toughest job, so just hire someone that already knows how to to it well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 4:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The higher resolutions that some scanners are capable of are just from interpolation anyway. Get yourself a good basic flat-bed scanner for the photos, and pack up your slides and negatives and take them somewhere that can scan them professionally. The slides and negatives are going to be the toughest job, so just hire someone that already knows how to to it well.
I agree 100% with Tcav. I was lucky enough that no one in my family saved slides or negatives so when I had the shoe boxes of photos none were found.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote