Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:35 PM   #1

Default Please interpret (from my manual)...

This excerpt pertains to shooting video through my Mickey Mouse Canon a590 IS, a little digital...

Quote:
"Focus and Optical Zoom settings remain fixed for subsequent frames at the values selected for the first frame"
So for a sequence that I will be zooming in and back out while recording, should I best start at the midpoint of the focal length, or at the max point, or at the minimum point?

Hope my question doesn't fry your circuits
Driver_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:44 PM   #2

Seems to mean that you aren't going to be zooming in and out, at least with the lens. It may let you use digital zoom, so if you plan on needing wide angle, you probably need to start there, at minimum focal length. Notice also, that the focus will be fixed where you start, so if you do zoom in on something, make sure that it is in focus first.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:48 PM   #3
Administrator

That means you can't zoom in or out while recording, period. So, you'll need to start at the point you want for the entire video clip (since you can't change it during a recording). ;-)

That's not that unusual for cameras, where manufacturers disable the ability to make changes while shooting video.

If you want to use more than one focal length, you'd have to make a recording, stop it, zoom in or out, make another recording, stop it, zoom in or out, etc.; then use software to combine them later; since you can't change zoom settings while recording video.

Now, you may want to look at chdk, as it may allow that kind of thing (it adds some features not included from Canon with some cameras).

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That means you can't zoom in or out while recording, period. So, you'll need to start at the point you want for the entire video clip (since you can't change it during a recording). ;-)

That's not that unusual for cameras, where manufacturers disable the ability to make changes while shooting video.

If you want to use more than one focal length, you'd have to make a recording, stop it, zoom in or out, make another recording, stop it, zoom in or out, etc.; then use software to combine them later; since you can't change zoom settings while recording video.

Now, you may want to look at chdk, as it may allow that kind of thing (it adds some features not included from Canon with some cameras).

Good info - thanks.....

Canon hack - I got a link there long ago while it was still on the Russian developers' servers even; wasn't too enthusiastic about writing to the BIOS chip with beta (or pre-beta ) script
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Seems to mean that you aren't going to be zooming in and out, at least with the lens. It may let you use digital zoom, so if you plan on needing wide angle, you probably need to start there, at minimum focal length. Notice also, that the focus will be fixed where you start, so if you do zoom in on something, make sure that it is in focus first.

brian
Yes, I think that's correct; no LENS zoom once started, but digital zoom function is enabled...

And digital zoom will not compensate, when the lens' focal length is fixed, for the duration of the video??? Or it WILL compensate, with quality loss???
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:34 PM   #6

I don't have the camera, or one like it, so I can't say. Would have to try it to be sure. My guess is that you would be able to, but, as you say, with quality loss.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:02 PM   #7

Wow. Gonna' have to wait for the print version.

Links, links to links, links back, it even has link do-loops (circular).

Books will never die.