Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:42 PM   #1

Default Canon G3 vs G5

Are there any key differences other than the MP and body color difference?

Thanks in advance.
kj_kim323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:25 PM   #2

Check out Steve's reviews of these camera's. This might help a little.

G3
G5
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:08 PM   #3

I've already read several reviews on both cameras, including Steve's. The only differences were pretty minute (other than the obvious MP and body color difference) from what I saw.

It's just that I find it odd that Canon would wait more than half a year to release the 5 mp version of the G3 and charge so much more for it if it's only the number of MPs they are changing.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:53 AM   #4

I cant remember where I read this review but it was stated that the G5 lacked in some areas due to the squeezing in the 5 megapixels into the same camera so they left out more important features that could have been added. the review suggested to stay with the G3 until canon came up with much more in the next model.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:09 AM   #5

Default another deference

another deference of G3 & G5 is shooting speed.
livingsoul3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:58 PM   #6

I too was in your position, trying to decide between the G3 and the G5.

I was leaning towards the G3 originally, but ended up with the G5.

Some of my rationale:

The 4 megapixels with the G3 seemed like enough for me. I was worried that 5 megapixels would be too much with the G5. But, I later decided that getting a 5 megapixel would allow me a little more freedom in cropping (which until I learn how to compose pictures better, will be a nice option).

After reading the reviews I too noticed that there was little difference between the G3 and G5. The most obvious differences were the megapixels, and the body color (which I happened to like the black better). However, the reviews showed some other less obvious differences. The G5 seemed to have a bit more of a problem with purple fringing/chromatic aberations than the G3. Also, it seemed like it may have slightly more noise issues at higher ISO's. These things were discussed in a number of places, and some people said it was absoultely awful, and others said it wasn't really that bad unless you were super anal.

There were also some small improvements in terms of speed and such in the G5, and if I remember right, I think battery life may have been a little bit better with the G5. But, you are right, for the most part the two cameras are very similar.

Ultimately, what it came down to was price and availability. The G3 has been discontinued, and it is getting harder and harder to find a brand new G3. The only place I could find it was on the internet, and I felt rather leery about some of these retailers (and looking at consumer reviews of those stores told me I may be right to be leery). So, it pretty much came down to it that if I wanted a G3 I'd have to go used (like from Ebay) or refurbished. However, I was able to find a ready supply of G5s (which are coming down in price to make way for the new camera's Canon will be announcing). And the price of the G5s were only slightly more than the price of the G3s. For about $50 more I could get a brand new camera with a black body (which I prefered) and with 5 megapixels, instead of 4.

My guess is that your decision as to which to get will come down to the same issues. Do you want a new/used/refurbished camera? Where are you willing to buy it? How much are you willing to spend? Are you willing to spend slightly more for the next model up? Do you want 5 mpx, or only 4? Does the slightly higher occurence of CA in the G5 bother you?

So far, I have been happy with my G5, though I think I would have been happy with either. The way I see it, you have a choice between a good thing, and a good thing. You can't lose.
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 2:31 PM   #7
Administrator

Personally, if I were considering these two models, I'd go for the G3.

There seems to be no improvement in the camera's buffer size or processor speed with the G5. So, you actually get slightly faster continuous mode timings with the G3 versus the G5, with more images buffered before pauses (G3 has an advantage).

This is because the 4MP file size is slightly smaller.

Also, as the pixel pitch (size of photosites) decreases (as in the G5's CCD), noise tends to increase at a fairly fast rate for the same ISO speeds. So, the 4MP CCD is the better performer in this area, too.

Finally, Chromatic Aberrations (Purple Fringing) appears to be worse in the G5. This is because Canon apparently made a decision not to upgrade the lens and processing of the G5, to meet the demands of the higher resolution 5MP sensor (with more pixels/square inch in the same size CCD).

Given the small increase in resolution (especially when you consider that resolution is composed of width x height, so it takes 4 times the resolution to double an image size); I'd go with the G3 between the two models.

BTW, Canon did have a limited edition "black" G3 (so you could get the better looks of the G5 in a G3, if you can find one).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:32 PM   #8

Thanks for the help.

I've also noticed that most comparisons tend to lean towards the G3 over the G5, and I've also noticed that G3's are becoming increasingly more difficult to find. I planned on buying on the net. I did a little shopping and found the lowest price ofr a G5 online was $175ish, but I wasn't sure if it was new or refurb. The G3 was only about $50 cheaper as far as I could tell.

Are there any retailers that sell either for less than what I've found?

Thanks for your time.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 3:37 PM   #9

Where did you find the G5 for $175? That must be a typo.

What I found when I was looking around about 3 weeks ago (that's when I bought my G5) was that you could pick up a G5 for about $500 (you could get a little cheaper, in some cases). The G3 would be about $450, or even a little more.

Personally, I bought my G5 from Ebay -- brand new.
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:32 PM   #10

Ah yes, typo. My bad, I meant $475ish.

I can't find any G3's under $450, and the lowest price for the G5 is $462. I'm pretty sure neither are refurbs, but you never know anymore.