Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:18 PM   #1

Default How people think pro photographers spend their time

Came across this blog post by Chase Jarvis (a well known pro photographer) about the preconception people have of the way pro photographers spend their time versus the reality of running a hopefully profitable business (which is continually becoming tougher to do).

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/201...nd-their-time/

Just thought people might find it interesting, especially if they are considering jumping into the profession.

Last edited by PeterP; Mar 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:34 AM   #2

thanks for sharing but i think thats how i see the business. i think you have to work at being successful as work doesnt just drop in through the door.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3

Agree, and that is what the chart is trying to point out.
It is a business like any other, a lot of hard work and the competition is fierce in most markets.
Very little actual shooting time.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4

Well that was interesting, and think my wife wants me to start a photography business up again after I retire.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:58 AM   #5

That may be somewhat okay for professional photographers of "social" stuff.
At least in my case, as a hobbyist wildlife photographer, I spend a LOT of time researching how to attract and find animals, finding places where I could take pictures, projecting and making stuff to attract animals ( i'm almost a pro carpenter now ), and also, does that "Taking pictures" item include the long hours waiting or searching for stuff to shot?

Luckily, out of all those uncountable items, I am only familiar with 5. It pays to be a hobbyist .
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:32 AM   #6

Default How people think pro photographers spend their time

thanks for sharing, but I think thats how I see business. I think you have to work tosucceed as a work does not just fall through the door.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:10 PM   #7

The original post was intended for those interested in pro work.

BTW: attracting animals by bating or doing anything that alters their normal behaviour is frowned upon if not outright illegal for some species in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte View Post
That may be somewhat okay for professional photographers of "social" stuff.
--
--
making stuff to attract animals

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:26 PM   #8

I'm just telling that, imho, depending on the type of photography, that chart varies a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
BTW: attracting animals by bating or doing anything that alters their normal behaviour is frowned upon if not outright illegal for some species in Canada.
And I agree in most cases, I think it's just too invasive to attract animals in the wild. I only attract "urban" animals in my house, I used to attract in the wild but another photographer convinced me it's just wrong.

I find strange however, how in Canada you can't attract animals and make them deviate a little fraction of their lives from their normal behaviour, but you can shoot others to death, as if taking a bullet were part of the nature of the animals.

I know all that talk about "has to be done", etc., but this doesn't justifies killing the animals imho, it's because the government is just too lazy to find a "real" solution, so they think it's okay to let those mad people kill the animals.

I have absolutely nothing against people who hunt to eat, but most people hunt because they are cruel and has loose screws.

Just my humble opinion.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:42 PM   #9

It depends on the animal, some have no restrictions on being attracted others do.
I have bird feeders and a small pond out in the yard, song birds, frogs, toads, rabbits, show up to use them.
So does the occasional hawk that pray on the others.

The hunting, while it is not so prevalent an activity here, there are times in the spring and fall I won't head into the bush (even some local urban forests where they allow small game hunting) when some hunting seasons are open.

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM. Reason: fixining up da grammer & spooling
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:44 PM   #10

I wouldn't say 'most'. A "few" is more like it. You obviously don't know many or even any hunters, to make that kind of prejudiced generality. This isn't a forum for these kind of arguments, so that is all I will say.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote