Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:46 PM   #11

I have a Gitzo ball head and there's several things I don't like. First, it only has one "drop" - the slot for dropping the camera to vertical instead of horizontal. It seems like it's always in the wrong spot.

Mine doesn't have a tension adjustment, so you have to CAREFULLY release the ball head screw until you can feel things move. I'd rather have something where I could set the tension and forget it - the release for the ball head would either be locked down or not. Mine does have a separate rotation release, so the head can stay locked while you pan or rotate it. That's necessary!

Finally, if you are going for a ball head (I hate pan/tilt heads, too) then it should have a strong locking mechanism. There's nothing worse that getting your shot carefully lined up, lock down the head and have it droop a bit, throwing the composition off. How are the locking mechanisms made for ball heads?

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have saved the money by buying the Gitzo head, I would have bought the RRS head (I have their quick release plate and L-bracket, they are beautifully machined).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:20 PM   #12

G'day CT

A great project > hope it goes well
Another thought for you ~ -IF- your new tripod head incorporates a qwik-release arrangement, please make it symmetrical ... there's nothing worse than having to undo, rotate 90 or 180deg, reset & retighten before shooting the shot

If I am setting up at night, I often find that the mounting plate is on back to front - it looks & feels identical on both sides, but there is about 1mm difference between the centreposts so that it can only be inserted one way. Absolute bloody nuisance

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:55 PM   #13

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions everyone. Sponging it all up right now and hopefully I can make something happen with it.

I have access to a 3d printer, and also Im a drafter at a custom fab shop. I should be able to make this thing if I find something that works.
cturboaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:45 PM   #14

Mine doesn't have a level on the head. Wish it did. Other than that it's fine.

As far as the whole tripod is concerned it's very heavy...but it is very high quality and built like a tank.

It's old...close to 30 years old, I've had since new. I bought it to handle medium format cameras....my Mamiya medium format film system and rental Pentax 6 X 7's...back in the day.

It's a large Leitz Tiltall....a wonderful tripod.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:14 AM   #15

Particularly, I hate we have to use tripods at all. The world would be almost perfect without them.

I have some ideas of what i would like to see in a tripod though:

1-A usable level. That bubble stuff just drives me mad. Maybe some electronic stuff... dunno.

2-Interchangeable and articulated feet - Something like flat rubber, spiky metal, sucker cup.

3-The option to detach 2 pods and affix one straight in order to obtain a monopod.

4-largely telescopic legs to make it very portable, and to be able to put the two detached pods in a bag.

5-Light and solid.

6-Cheap - If you can make it for free it's even better

To make a monopod from a tripod, you have to actually remove 2 pods, not only bring them together. That simply doesn't work. I can make a "monopod" from my tripod, but i always end up carrying a monopod together because it's not useable.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte View Post
Particularly, I hate we have to use tripods at all. The world would be almost perfect without them.

I have some ideas of what i would like to see in a tripod though:

1-A usable level. That bubble stuff just drives me mad. Maybe some electronic stuff... dunno.

2-Interchangeable and articulated feet - Something like flat rubber, spiky metal, sucker cup.

3-The option to detach 2 pods and affix one straight in order to obtain a monopod.

4-largely telescopic legs to make it very portable, and to be able to put the two detached pods in a bag.

5-Light and solid.

6-Cheap - If you can make it for free it's even better

To make a monopod from a tripod, you have to actually remove 2 pods, not only bring them together. That simply doesn't work. I can make a "monopod" from my tripod, but i always end up carrying a monopod together because it's not useable.
Im tackling just the head for this situation. But I do like the ideas!!! Especially the interchangable feet
cturboaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:00 PM   #17

What do I dislike?

Everybody has their own proprietary quick release plate. If sombody makesa better head, you have to begin a new system. It may attach to your existing tripod ot monopod - but don'texpect the cameras (plural) to attach unless you change quick release plates. Worse is when the monopod, photo tripod and video tripod have different brands of heads, forget about camera quick interchangability between the various mounts.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:19 AM   #18

Agree and disagree at the same time.

You will find the high end heads like Kirk, Arca-Swiss, Really Right Stuff, Foba, Wimberly, Induro, Benro and others use clamps that all use the same interchangeable Arca-Swiss style lens and camera plates. Gitzo has an adapter that allows their heads to use Arca-swiss plates too.

it is the mid and low range heads that all come up with their own proprietary lens plates.

However the arca-swiss plates are not cheap, around 180$ for an L-bracket and 60$ or so for each lens or camera plate.

My tripod(s), monopod, macro rail, all have either Kirk or RRS clamps (yes, the clamp is sold separate from the ball-head), so all my lenses that have plates and cameras that have L-brackets just slide straight into them.

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:38 AM   #19

I guess it is just Manfrotto that is different among the premium lines that are relatively affordable.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #20

I used to use Manfrotto/Bogen equipment, and yes even among their own heads the plates changed.
I remember having some rc-0, rc-2 and rc-4 plates for the various heads I had.

It is not only Manfrotto though, some other quite good lower cost tripods like the Velbon's have their own plate systems, they too seem to have several models matched to their tripods & heads.

I agree having to swap them all the time would prove most frustrating.
Would be nice if they all standardized on one plate system.

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote