Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:17 AM   #1

Default WHAT DO YOU HATE ABOUT YOUR TRIPOD? Please read.... Need INput!

Hey Guys,
As most of you may not know, Im a full time student graduating the end of this year. Ill be ending this year with my AAS in Computer Aided Drafting, and Ive got a project for my final for one of my 200 classes that directly involves photography.

I have to re-design a camera TRIPOD mount. My professor is an avid photographer and she hates the way the top of her tripod is designed. So, she wants us to redesign one.

My question to you guys, is what do you most dislike about your tripod mount? And what do you like the MOST? What would you "wish" was incorporated in your mount? Weight? Articulation? Collapse?

Please share your wants with me?? Also, include the brand/model that you are using so I can see how it is designed also! Thanks GUYS!
cturboaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:19 AM   #2

I should clarify just a bit~~~~~~ Im speaking of the tripod head!!! I plan on keeping the ball and socket, but beyond that- it needs some work.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:56 AM   #3

Hate (well really don't) to say this but nothing.
For photography we use the Really Right Stuff BH55 and a Arca Swiss Z1.

Prior to that we tried the Manfrotto 322RC2 and that was very nice but as it aged would drift as you tried to lock it down with a larger weight, or a long lens.
It also had operating issues in the extreme sub zero (-30 or more.) like sticking.

However,
For video we have been using an old Manfrotto 029 rc0 pan tilt head and that one is a pain.
Big, lots of knobs that don't always want to release, and motion is not smooth.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Hate (well really don't) to say this but nothing.
For photography we use the Really Right Stuff BH55 and a Arca Swiss Z1.

Prior to that we tried the Manfrotto 322RC2 and that was very nice but as it aged would drift as you tried to lock it down with a larger weight, or a long lens.
It also had operating issues in the extreme sub zero (-30 or more.) like sticking.

However,
For video we have been using an old Manfrotto 029 rc0 pan tilt head and that one is a pain.
Big, lots of knobs that don't always want to release, and motion is not smooth.

Hope this helps a bit.
Exactly what Im looking for. Ill google what they are, and ask a couple questions about them!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:03 AM   #5

Man, that BH55 is REALLY NICE! Thats sorta the design I had in mind. How does that lever release work? I dont see how it latches down.

And with the ARCA-Z71 does the camera just spin down on the thread on top for mounting?or is there a removable plate?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:25 AM   #6

When I bought the BH55 I went for the old style screw clamp, because I had plates and L brackets from many manufacturers like kirk, arca swiss, RRS, and some no name Chinese.
RRS recommends that option if you are using other manufacturers plates as the machining tolerances might differ. And the lever clamp is not adjustable.
So I am not exactly sure how the lever latches.
Note the RRS plates & brackets have safety pins on their plates ends that prevent something from sliding out unless you really want it too.

This is the one I ordered.
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...ith-Pro&key=it

My partner is using the arca-swiss z1 and it also can come with either a screw clamp or a lever clamp
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1_sp_with.html

He's away for the week so I can't get a closer look at how that clamp works.
It seems to have no problems with any of the plates though.

hum a lever clamp that is slightly adjustable for plate brand machining tolerances might be something to think about.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:33 AM   #7

1. The ball socket stays...
2. Minimizing the current designs top weight and extra chunky rough levers to something more of either style that you have shown is where Im headed.
3. Lever placement for locking down the plate is going to be crucial along with allowing the difference of tolerances for optimal "interchangibility" while still holding securely is going to be the daunting task. The hard part is going to be finding the difference in sizes of the plates. Alot of manufacturers wont put full detail prints out on the sizes of their patented equipment.

Maybe the local camera shop will let me dig around a bit with a caliper and micrometer?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:48 AM   #8

I have gone out shopping with a digital calliper to check things out for an astronomy mount project in the past

Got a few odd looks but had no issues
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
I have gone out shopping with a digital calliper to check things out for an astronomy mount project in the past

Got a few odd looks but had no issues
So, I guess you understand the situation then!!! Nice! Thanks for your help, ill be sure to update the thread with my findings afterwards!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:38 AM   #10

I've got an old Velbon tripod that didn't cost very much and just won't break. It's not the most convenient to use, but I can't bring myself to replace it.

The one thing I hate about it is that it's got a 3-way pan/tilt head, and the lateral tilt is a little bit crooked. Everytime I set up a shot, I need to level the head. It's a pain, especially with a long lens attached.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote