Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:25 PM   #31

One of the big advantages of PDAF is that in can detect which way to go to get the subject in focus. CDAF can't do that.

Also, PDAF uses two sensors for each focus point, and the two sensors are as spread as far apart as they can be. That's why it takes "the entire area".
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
One of the big advantages of PDAF is that in can detect which way to go to get the subject in focus.
Yep. Not only the "direction" but also it detects the amount it have to move I believe, so it doesn't keep checking if the subject is on focus. That's why it's much better for action, because you just need to have the subject in crosshair when you press the button, while with CDAF you have to keep aiming at the subject while it focuses, what may take some seconds, so it's simply impossible to capture some situations.
At least I think .
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:46 AM   #33

Electrolyte - I'm going to say this topic is ranging fairly far afield of the original post. But I will submit that you've formed some conclusions regarding the various technologies that are incorrect. But the original question around sensors has been asked and answered. If you want to debate what you think about phase detect or action or any of the other topics, please start a new thread to discuss.

I would just add a word of caution: it's one thing to want to understand all the technology and how it impacts shooting, and it's something else to simply select a camera. If all you're doing is trying to figure out what camera to buy, you're losing site of the forest and focusing too much on trees (and formulating some incorrect conclusions along the way).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:32 AM   #34

True dat.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Electrolyte - I'm going to say this topic is ranging fairly far afield of the original post.
I agree.

However, I didn't have my answer, I wanted to know from you - experienced photographers - if you think Canon will begin to abandon the 'entry-level' segment, I mean, I want to choose Canon as my system and I want to know if you think their entry-level DSLRs will be any good let's say, 5 years from now.

I just said that at the moment I think they're really worse than the competition, and looks like they're getting even worse (relative to the competition, not the previous models of course).

Now with those micro 4/3rds and the entry-levels of other brands especially Nikon, getting substantially better (at least imho), and that new stuff like the NEX series, unless Canon deliver better quality I can't see how they'll be able to compete.

Canon has the better lenses by far imho, and also their flagships aren't any bad, but as I said in the first post, I don't plan to buy them.

If I were to choose now, only for the camera not the lenses, I would go with Nikon, then Sony and maybe Canon would be the 4th or 5th in my line of preference. When the lenses come into account, then the Canons are preferred, even knowing that the image quality of the camera itself isn't 'that' good. However, I'm afraid in the future, considering how the IQ of Nikons are progressing, the things will change and all that money I spent buying extremely expensive lenses will not make sense. Especially if brands like Sigma begin to produce lenses with better glasses.

So, basically, at the moment, imho, Canon has good lenses, Nikon has good cameras, generic lenses manufacturer (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar, etc.) have bad lenses, how will that be in the future?

Regards.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:31 AM   #36

Put simply:
  • Nobody makes a bad dSLR - Sony makes a very good 16MP image sensor that is also used by Nikon and Pentax, but it's not a lot better than Canon's 18MP sensor.
  • Everybody makes great lenses and not-so-great lenses.
Any attempt to classify all the products from any single manufacturer, as either superior or inferior to the products of its competitors is doomed to failure. Anyone that tries has no idea how the world works.

What you're expressing is a prejudice. Whether it's a prejudice you've concocted on your own or one that you're just repeating, is immaterial.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Put simply:
  • Nobody makes a bad dSLR - Sony makes a very good 16MP image sensor that is also used by Nikon and Pentax, but it's not a lot better than Canon's 18MP sensor.
  • Everybody makes great lenses and not-so-great lenses.
Any attempt to classify all the products from any single manufacturer, as either superior or inferior to the products of its competitors is doomed to failure. Anyone that tries has no idea how the world works.

What you're expressing is a prejudice. Whether it's a prejudice you've concocted on your own or one that you're just repeating, is immaterial.
Some say 'great' and 'not-so-great', I use the terms 'good' and 'bad'.

If it were prejudice, I wouldn't even consider other brands... I think.

Anyways, I'm gonna wait the next Canons before making my decision. If they're at least as good as a D5100 in terms of IQ, then it's decided. Otherwise I'll need to think a little more.

I never meant to offend anyone so sorry if I did.

Regards.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte View Post
Some say 'great' and 'not-so-great', I use the terms 'good' and 'bad'.
All lenses perform very well somewhere in their aperture and focal length range. The great ones perform very well over a broad range of apertures and focal lengths. For the not-so-great ones, the range is narrower, especially within the range of their capabilities. There are no lenses that are bad, let alone bad everywhere. In addition, the nameplate is not a good predictor of which ones will be great and which ones will be not-so-great.

Quote:
Anyways, I'm gonna wait the next Canons before making my decision. If they're at least as good as a D5100 in terms of IQ, then it's decided. Otherwise I'll need to think a little more.
DxOMark's measurements for the Canon T3i, Nikon D5100,and Sony A55, show their SNR 18%, Dynamic Range and Tonal Range to be very similar. (DO NOT consider the Scores. Go straight to the Measurements tab, and look at the SNR 18%, Dynamic Range and Tonal Range charts.) These are objective test scores. Anything else is subjective.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:14 PM   #39

Quote:
DxOMark's measurements for the Canon T3i, Nikon D5100,and Sony A55,
The D5100 is slightly better than the other 2!
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:21 PM   #40

Quote:
how much will the steadyshot stabilize in stops?
3-4 stops.
I think Sony's stabilization provides, on average, better results than anyone's optical image stabilization!
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote