Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
All lenses perform very well somewhere in their aperture and focal length range. The great ones perform very well over a broad range of apertures and focal lengths. For the not-so-great ones, the range is narrower, especially within the range of their capabilities. There are no lenses that are bad, let alone bad everywhere. In addition, the nameplate is not a good predictor of which ones will be great and which ones will be not-so-great.
I agree about the nameplate, however, I expect a x-500mm f6.3 lens to have good quality at 500mm f6.3... If i were going to shot at 350mm i wouldn't buy a 500mm lens, the same for aperture. I just think the image quality should be more consistent... in some lenses the sharpness varies so much that you actually need to shot at 4/5 the maximum length in order to capture more details, so what's the point of a x-500mm lens if you actually capture more details at let's say, 400mm?

About the measurements... they seems to reflect the score.

Let's consider ISO 1600, which results are more leveled: you have SNR: 29.6, 28.8; DR: 9.93, 9.8; TR: 7.09, 6.92; COL: 18.1, 17.1, so the ratios summed, and considering the real ISO difference (1286, 1190), you end up with the ratio 1.215 (nikon/canon), so if Canon scores 65, Nikon would score 78.975.

But you're right, this thing is subjective, and I never used this stuff. The best way to see the difference is by looking at images side-by-side.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:54 PM   #42

Quote:
however, I expect a x-500mm f6.3 lens to have good quality at 500mm f6.3...
Quality is subjective. Especially when you're talking about consumer grade lenses, not everyone wants to pay for the best image quality. For example, let's take 300mm 5.6 zoom lenses for Canon.
We have the 70-300L, the 70-300 non L and the 75-300. All different levels of quality and all at very different price points. And all 300mm 5.6. Not everyone can afford the 70-300L. That is why the non-L and the 75-300 still exist.

Again, I think you've got some very naive but very firm interpretations of products you don't even use. The interchangeable lens market is a bit more complex than you seem to think. There is a very good reason why manufacturers have bodies and lenses at different price points. Expecting all 300mm 5.6 lenses to meet the same quality standard is naive.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:42 PM   #43
Super Moderator

Just get yourself something and start taking pictures. You're worrying about all the wrong stuff.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Just get yourself something and start taking pictures. You're worrying about all the wrong stuff.
I highly agree - every entry level DSLR on the market is better than 99.9% of the people who use them. Practice for 5 or 10 years, then you will have a decent knowledge of what to upgrade to.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Yeah... I think you're right. I'm not gonna buy an expensive lens like the 100-400mm L however, I'm gonna buy some cheap x-300mm (Stabilized and with AF) and wait a little more. Maybe after some time using this Canon I'll change my mind. I don't have high hopes for Canon though.

PS: Forgot to tell that i already bought the t2i because the coupon was going to expire.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:23 AM   #46
Super Moderator

Fantastic, now go take some pictures. If you have to get a telephoto immediately get either the 55-250 or 70-300.

Don't get a teleconverter just get closer.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:43 AM   #47

After all that it came down to a coupon...???

Fear not Electrolyte- the T2i(550D) is a fine camera and I'm sure it will suffice.
Just don't go looking for flaws- because everything has some if you look hard enough.

Last edited by SIMON40; Apr 6, 2012 at 3:48 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:11 AM   #48

Ive had good luck with my tamron 70-300 sp, with a 1.4 tc. Auto focus is fast without the tc and not bad with it.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:41 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
Ive had good luck with my tamron 70-300 sp, with a 1.4 tc. Auto focus is fast without the tc and not bad with it.
Thank you for your recommendation, however, I've read bad things about their quality control, the same for Sigma. The quality seems to fluctuate.
Anyways, where I live this lens is the same price of the Canon EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM. Should I consider the Tamrom AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD even though?

Regards.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:43 PM   #50

If the two lenses are the same price, go for the canon. The tc might be the issue though. The tamron tc works with the 70-300 SP. I can't say regarding the canon side of things.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote