Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2004, 6:07 PM   #1

Default good digital camera for macro

I am looking for a good digital camera with a good macro mode for taking close up pics of coins for $500 or less. any suggestions will be a great help. Jim
kardkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:00 PM   #2
hst

Default Nikon 4500

The Nikon 4500 is an older model you can still find. It captures very detailed Macro Images. It was the last of the swivel body cameras that Nikon produced and is know just for the feature you looking for. If your wanting a newer model, you might try posting in the Nikon section of this forum and see what the users recommend. I've also heard the Fuji 5000 takes very good macro shots but I haven't looked for examples. Both cameras should be well below 400.00
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:30 AM   #3
Baz

Hi Jim.. I have the Fuji FinePix 602Z camera..It has a great macro function.2 settings. Macro, & super macro which focusses as close as 1 cm.

I can highly recommend this camera for macro. I've had good results with very close macro shots using the camera on a tripod, with manual focus.

It would be ideal for your purpose.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:52 AM   #4
Administrator

The Nikon Coolpix 4500 has the best "straight from the box" Macro Mode of any Digital Camera. It can "fill the frame" with an object of around 3/4" across with no distortion (because the macro "sweet spot" is at around half zoom). No other camera even comes close to it's macro ability, without the use of optional closeup lenses (and even then, you may have more distortion than desired).

A new Nikon Coolpix 4500 is around $699.00. However, you can buy a factory reconditioned Coolpix 4500 for only $369.99, directly from Nikon.

Here is the link:

http://www.nikonmall.com/product.asp...&searchcatid=3

Note: the Fuji S602 mentioned in this post has a pretty good macro mode, compared to most cameras. However, it falls well short of the Nikon Swivel Bodied Cameras (Coolpix 950, 990, 995, 4500). To get the best frame coverage, you must switch to it's "Super Macro" mode.

Then, you can get a frame coverage of around 37mm (around half the capability of the Nikons). However, you'll have significant barrel distortion to get frame coverage this good, and may have difficulty with lighting at distances this close.

In addition to macro capability that far exceeds other Digital Cameras, the Nikon Coolpix 4500 also has an optional SL-1 Cool-Light, which attaches to the camera's lens. This surrounds a small object with a ring of white LED's, to help illuminate it, without the problems associated with other lighting types.

Here is a link to this option:
http://www.nikonmall.com/product.asp...&searchcatid=3

BTW, the Nikons also have a feature unique to Nikon known as "Best Shot Selector" (BSS). When enabled, you can press and hold the shutter button down for multiple photos (I usually hold the shutter button for around 6 photos with Nikons I've owned, to help get a sharp photo with a handheld camera).

When you release the shutter button, it automatically saves the sharpest photo (probably by keeping the photo with the largest file size, which indicates more detail was captured).

I've found this feature great for use with macros at slower shutter speeds, to get sharp photos without the use of a tripod (since you usually have some camera shake causing blur at slower shutter speeds).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 1:56 PM   #5

Default Try the Olympus C-750...

It does'nt only have a max 380mm focal length giving a magnification over the human eye of 7.6x, it also has a "Super macro" facility too.
It does not swivel like the Nikon but using a plug in external monitor can get around that.
If you want REALLY close you can fit a +6 closeup lens ( Or a +4 and +2 together) and it will focus on an object 19mm (3/4") away!!!
It is also a lot cheaper, smaller and has a more robust magnesium body than the plastic bodied Nikon.

Alf B.
Alf B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 2:32 PM   #6
Administrator

Default Re: Try the Olympus C-750...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf B.
If you want REALLY close you can fit a +6 closeup lens ( Or a +4 and +2 together) and it will focus on an object 19mm (3/4") away!!!
It is also a lot cheaper, smaller and has a more robust magnesium body than the plastic bodied Nikon.
Alf:

The Nikon Coolpix 4500 has an all magnesium alloy body. It's a very well made camera.

Nikon did switch to polycarbonate plastic for the lens portion of the camera when they went from the 990 to the 995 (leaving ony the main body magnesium alloy).

However, they got so many complaints about it, they switched back to an all magesium alloy body again for the Coolpix 4500 (even though the complaints were probably not justfied).

It's a very tough camera.

Also, the Coolpix 4500 can focus 3/4" away (to infinity) in macro mode, without the need for any closeup lenses.

BTW, Steve uses a CP 4500 for his product shots in the reviews here at steves-digicams.com. See his post in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?p=83166

In more than one professional reviewers opinion, you cannot do any better than a swivel bodied Nikon for out of the box macro capability. It's superb.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote