Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:44 AM   #1

Default Grand Canyon/Sedona trip - things to see / not miss?

Going to the Grand Canyon 4/21-4/27. Flying into Phoenix and driving up to the Canyon with a stop in Sedona.

Looking for tips and things to see(shoot).

Will be bringing my Olympus e-pl2, Olympus 14-42mm II f3.5-5.6 M Zuiko, Panasonic 45-200mm f4-5.6, Panasonic 14mm f2.5, Jupiter-8 50mm f2, Manfrotto monopod and 3009 ball head, Hoya 52mm introductory filter set with CPL and step up ring to use on the 14mm.

I will also probably bring along one of my 3 300mm Primes; the lightweight 300mm Tamron CT-300, Tair 3 Grand Prix Brussels 300mm f4.5, or Nikon 300mm f4.5 AI-S

We will be staying on the rim for a few days and I was hoping to do a time lapse sunset and sunrise with the 14mm and maybe another with the Jupiter-8.

What else should I plan into the trip?

(it is a trip with my wife and 14year old daughter so please keep that in mind)
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:05 PM   #2

There is one item I would add -- another camera, any type. On our trip our nikon FE said goodbye, and we didn't have the nikkormat with us. I had budgeted 10 rolls for the day, got three photos. The cardboard kodak we bought oh well...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:13 AM   #3

we did sedona a few years back and there was a great helicopter trip that took us in and out of the canyons the sunsets on the red rocks are to die for. have a really good time
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:10 PM   #4

I use to live in Phoenix.

Assuming driving up, one or two exits before Sedona, Montezuma Castle (cliff dwellings) about 1 mile off the interstate - restrooms and picnic tables there too.

Driving up into Sedona, will pass through the redrock county with plenty of touristy things line jeep and helocopter tours. Obviously, there will be many areas you can take great photos without taking the tours. Either coming or going (or both) between Sedona and Flagstaff take Oak Creek Canyon Rd rather than the Interstate. Winds along the canyon following the stream. Old farms, slide rock, but the standout, about halfway it will crest and at the top is another rest area with great views. Don't know if they still do it, but Indians would lay out blankets and sell their wares at that rest area.

Don't know what you time is at Flagstaff, but the quickest way to the Grand Canyons would be the western route. If you have time, along the western route is the ski lift up the mountain. The eastern route is much longer particurally with that loop east of Flagstaff with the lava fields, indian ruins and an overlook of the painted desert. The actual painted desert and petrified forest is way east along the interstate that heads east. From the scenic loop at Flastaff, you just see it from the distance.

Last edited by tizeye; Apr 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:24 AM   #5

if you are going to the grand canyon we did the train trip from williams. it was a steam train even got held up by bandits on the way back great fun. but it is seasonal so check
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:17 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the tips.

tizeye - we will be sure to check out Oak Creek Canyon road and the other scenic routes you pointed out around Sedona/flagstaff. We have two nights at the end of the trip in Sedona.

KulaCube - my daughter will have her nikon p&s which is pretty decent. we also have fairly decent cameras on our phones. I think if my e-pl2 shat the bed I probably would try and buy another body locally if I could.

wave01 - both sound really cool but my wife is terrified of the helicopter ride, I tried once to get her to go when we were in Vegas and she wasn't into it.

I'm pretty excited as we booked a slot canyon tour which looks really cool. I also will hopefully have a manual focus super-lentar 21mm lens to take along as well which should be very good. That and I have acquired a pair of (52mm and 40.5mm) hoya cpl filters and some step rings to use them on all my lenses. I have also been EXIF stalking photos I like on flickr...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:35 AM   #7

Having gone to the north and south rim of the Grand Canyon, the one thing that I missed having was a small tripod that would help to take a series of images as the Canyon is vast and it was impossible to fully capture what my eyes were seeing in 1 frame.

I would suggest that you might want to pick up a gorilla pod. It would allow you to take a series of photos using the 14-42mm lens, then when you got back home to stitch them together to get a panorama.

Another benefit of the gorilla pod is that you could use it to hold the camera, set the E-PL2 for a 10 sec delay and get a group photo to include yourself in the scene.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:13 AM   #8

Zig-123,

I will be bringing a manfrotto monopod with ball head and also a ravelli tripod. I also am bringing a pixel TW282 wireless timer remote shutter release to allow me to do the group shots and also do a time-lapse.

I have been thinking a gorrilla pod would be good but it is too close to the trip to order one so I will have to make do with what i have.

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:58 AM   #9

Only been to the Canyon once. Here were my thoughts:
1) the staff in those hotels is really rude - customer service isn't important as they have a monopoly. Didn't bother me but it did my father. Just keep your expectations low in that regard

2) Very hazy conditions. It might be better at this time of year, but it's really hazy and dull most off the day - so your photo ops at the rim need to be around sunrise and sunset.

3) I don't know if cars are allowed in anymore - even when I was there there were parts where only the buses could go. That takes time to get to a place. So, my biggest lesson was - I could only do 1/2 of what I wanted to do in a given day.

4) Take a walk down one of the trails - no need to go to the bottom, but even an hour hike down. Bright Angel trail is right near the hotels and really offers a decent hike. Believe me, you'll appreciate the different perspective being IN the canyon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:17 PM   #10

You may enjoy this if you get really ambitious --

http://www.kurtmunger.com/grand_cany..._oneid215.html
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote