Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:40 PM   #11

bcoultry

I agree about left/right ability in theory... I've used several head lights (adjustable up/down and not at all) for a variety of things (cross crountry skiing, auto work, hiking) and I don't think I've ever missed left/right. I see the benefit, but I guess I just always turned my head.

After having read your comments in the "behind the avatar" thread, I laughed hard after that comment from slipe.

Slipe

That wrist band light is an interesting idea. I'll have to file that one away.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:12 PM   #12

Quote:
After having read your comments in the "behind the avatar" thread, I laughed hard after that comment from slipe.
Oh, dear Lord, what did I say in that thread?! No, on second thought, please don't tell me.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:29 PM   #13

I think garland was a hit and run – but we’ve had lots of fun anyway.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
I think garland was a hit and run – but we’ve had lots of fun anyway.
Definitely. Doesn't take much to get us all riled up, but it keeps us alert and downright perky.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:30 PM   #15

I'm not sure what other cameras have Night Framing like my F717 but it allows you to see your picture in "Night Vision" and then it returns to normal mode and the takes the picture with the flash. So you see your subject in Night Vision and then it takes the picture as if you photographing in the daytime.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:29 PM   #16

i havnt run im just trying to take in some of your knowledge.

i been reading about cameras all day im so confused ops:

so many to pick

dunno if i should get one with a 10* zoom and use a light @ night but also have the zoom just incase or go with the night thing I DONT KNOW

thx for your info

it has been mind BLOWING

:lol:
garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:58 PM   #17

Garland, you are not alone. Most of us have been through precisely what you're going through, each of us with things we wanted, all in one camera, then having to decide where we should compromise.

Here's a fact: this is unlikely to be your one, only, and last camera.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:47 PM   #18

Garland, another advantage you have over many is that you know what you want to use it for. There are lots of posts where people just say they want the best camera for under $XXX. And that is it.

You actually gave us information to think about and work with.

Something else to consider (yes, this should help... don't worry.) If there are any local stores that put cameras out on display where you are (you don't list a local) leave your credit cards are home and go visit. Look at the sizes of the cameras. Look at the button placements, where the dials are. See how well it fits in your hand. Is it too big for you pocket? Is it too heavy?

Now, most stores will only carry the most recent brands. So things like the D7 and D7i won't be there (too old).... but it will give you a more concrete idea of what is out there.

Feel free to ask more questions, if you as one that catches our eye, we're happy to answer (and run off on to other tangents as well... we're a friendly, happy bunch.)

If you really think you'll need the zoom, it is something that is very handy. But large zooms almost always mean larger cameras. For some that is ok, for others it isn't.

Hey, think of it this way. My leap into serious photography cost me (in a single purchase)... almost $4,000 all told. I'm still a little stuned I did it.

So don't worry that much about it. Don't spend more than you can afford and get something that will fit your needs.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 9:20 PM   #19

as far as lights like that go, i have used the little led's the headbands ect.. cause i have been a serious backpacker for a long time. i personally am a big fan of the headlamp thing, mine has 4 leds, and yes again up and down but not side to side...
one of my friends made a "spider man" type wrist holder for a little led light, it was so genious i almost died when i saw it. he used one of the wraparound type watch bands with velcro, shaved the velcro off at one point, and superglued the light (batt cover facing out) to the watch band. voila! removable wrist bound light. as far as i know he still has it, and if i can, i will get a pic of it for everyone.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 6:56 AM   #20

i am based just outside london so plenty of shops to go look in. going to go this saturday and have alook will be fun watching them trying to sell me the most expensive but i will be strong

will let ya know what happens

Thx again

GaR
garland is offline   Reply With Quote