Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Default Camera capable of file name editing

Hi,

I don't know if this is possible or not but i thought it'd be worth asking.

Is anyone aware of a digital camera that allows the photographer to enter some information prior to or after taking a picture that dictates the file name of the picture once it is downloaded to the computer?

The situation is that in a office setting, i would like to be able to enter a client's name and the date before or after taking a picture so that when i download the pictures to the computer, the picture's file is named with the client's name and the date instead of the default naming scheme (IMG_###.jpg). This can be done manually, but i was curious if there is a camera out there that currently provides this functionality instead of having to go into the folder and doing them that way.

If not, is anyone aware of a software that could help with this?

Thanks,

TSiqueira
tsiqueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Some cameras let you change the default filename scheme, but all cameras are limited to 8.3 filenames. That is, you can't have the camera create new files with long file names.

Some cameras let you create comments that will be added to each new photo you take, until you change the comment to something else, but that wouldn't affect the filename.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:17 PM   #3

Not specifically for a single photo, but I do it in batch in post. Don't even want to remotely think about the process on typing someones name into a camera without a keyboard for a single photo, then reseting for the next photo not of that individual.

All of my photos are taken with the default file numbering system in camera. Typically, they are real estate photos, but sometimes of event, and in either case, I change the file name to something like "Address_01" (or Event _01) through t the total number taken. Sometimes I put a surname qualifier if they are reduced size like MLS wants 600 pixels and in a separate folder deliver "Address_01 - MLS"

Those that I deliver with the individuals name are typically worked on in Photoshop and "Save As" with the person't name for the full size file, and "Person's Name - 400" as the webmaster wants 400 pixels wide.

Easy to do the multiple saves in Lightroom as part of the export process.

Free? Chech you camera download picture management software for "convert." If not, got to NikonUSA support and download ViewNX2 which is free works with all cameras. The last menu item is "convert" and allows you to change the file name and create folders to save in.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Not specifically for a single photo, but I do it in batch in post. Don't even want to remotely think about the process on typing someones name into a camera without a keyboard for a single photo, then reseting for the next photo not of that individual.

All of my photos are taken with the default file numbering system in camera. Typically, they are real estate photos, but sometimes of event, and in either case, I change the file name to something like "Address_01" (or Event _01) through t the total number taken. Sometimes I put a surname qualifier if they are reduced size like MLS wants 600 pixels and in a separate folder deliver "Address_01 - MLS"

Those that I deliver with the individuals name are typically worked on in Photoshop and "Save As" with the person't name for the full size file, and "Person's Name - 400" as the webmaster wants 400 pixels wide.

Easy to do the multiple saves in Lightroom as part of the export process.

Free? Chech you camera download picture management software for "convert." If not, got to NikonUSA support and download ViewNX2 which is free works with all cameras. The last menu item is "convert" and allows you to change the file name and create folders to save in.
I will check if this is possible on the camera i have available. I thought the same thing regarding typing each customer's individual name on a camera, but the boss suggested it and i wanted to look into it to find out if something to that effect was available.

It's for a doctor's office, so my initial thought was that a software would probably work best where it would import the picture into the client's profile and alter the name according to the customer's information.

Thanks for the quick replies!
tsiqueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:58 PM   #5

My suggestion would be simply to name a folder on your computer with the client's name, and upload the photos to that folder. If the situation calls for several different clients in a day, as simple solution would be to use separate memory cards.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
My suggestion would be simply to name a folder on your computer with the client's name, and upload the photos to that folder. brian
That is essentially what I do
1. When working with a large batch from an event, like Joes Retirement Party, that is the folder, and the files are consecutively numbered which is easy to do with batching software. Also make subfolders to handle the identical file that is downsized, and include the pixel size in the name.

2. I am also very active in Toastmasters and take the photos of guest next to the banner (and any special events). http://oviedo.toastmasters.us/ My photos are in the "Recent Visitors" menu, shifting to members when they join - or elsewhere as needed on the site. I only take 1 to 4 per meeting, I keep them in a master folder labeled "Toastmasters" and since there are so few, save the file by the person's name, and immediately adjust the size and save another file with the "same name - 400" for the pixel size which the webmaster wants for the website. Last week was a speech contest with about 90 photos taken which was handled in a batch as in #1 above and the 3 visitors were handled individually. Not certain how I am going to handle this weeks meeting which is a memorial for a member that died of cancer, except I will be pulling photos of her that I accumulated over time and give them to her family.

Last edited by tizeye; Apr 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote