Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:59 PM   #1

Default Anyone actually use all those numerous "scene" modes?

Hello there.

I've been wondering why almost all cameras nowadays have a lot of different modes, for example: Macro, Sports, Landscape, Portrait, Night...

Personally, I never used any of these modes.

I think it's okay to have a full-auto mode besides the PASM modes, but all those numerous kiddies-friendly modes in my opinion are ridiculous in a camera like the Canon T2i.

I would like however, to have 5 "customizable" modes instead of those 5 pre-defined modes that never matches my photography style, so I could program them myself in terms of minimum and maximum ISO, Aperture, Shutta Speed, If it's allowed to use focus helper light, flash, etc., and also the preferences, for example, if it's necessary to increase the EV, what should be done and in what proportion (increase ISO, aperture or decrease speed, etc.). This would be useful imho. Not all those kiddish modes, because imho every photographer has a style and the best thing is to let them decide how they want their pictures.

Just my opinion though.

But what about you? Do you actually use those modes?
I think they are okay in a T1i/D3100 though.

Regards.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:31 PM   #2

I will occasionally switch to a scene mode when I find myself in unfamiliar territory (like Fireworks, for instance.) But otherwise, I'm comfortable picking my own exposure settings.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:36 PM   #3

I've never used them. TOn some cameras they can be mildly useful for someone with no desire to learn anything about photography. On other cameras they are downright dangerous - for instance, I had a brand new Panny FZ30 and took a picture indoors of someone using "portrait" (aren't portraits taken indoors most of the time?). It was dreadful - the camera manufacturer assumed you'd be using the mode outdoors for quick snaps of people and had it set a daylight white balance. By the time I had read through what the camera did for all modes, looking for other gotchas, I gave up on them. It's far easier for me to set it all myself. Personally, I think most of them are gimmicks for marketing.

The macro mode is probably useful for point and shoot cameras. Sports might be useful for someone who doesn't understand photography if all it does is change the exposure weighing to emphasize shutter speed. A full auto mode is nice to have - I can give my dSLR to my hubby who knows nothing about photography, set it to auto and he happily snaps away when we are traveling, occasionally getting better shots than I do (all he thinks about is what he's seeing, not trying to second guess how the photo would look).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:53 AM   #4

I find it humourous that "full auto is OK" but scene modes are "for the kiddies". The scene modes make as much sense as full auto - even more so. For example: sports mode. A parent shooting their kids soccer game can get some good shots in sports mode. If they leave the camera in full auto they'll be more disappointed since full auto won't engage ai-servo focusing. You've owned a DSLR for a few days and you're already putting other shooters down for using the scene modes? You've got some growing up to do.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:30 AM   #5

Real photographers do it all in full manual !

I do like the custom modes on my 5dmkii, have one to set the camera up for a HDR series.
Dangerous though, accidental bumped the dial to it going down the aisle in a wedding and could not figure out what the camera was doing to me for a moment.

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:31 AM   #6

There are several "Art filters" in my Oly DSLRs and I use them occasionally. They do a nice job. As has been pointed out, if I'm into an area I'm not familiar with and not likely to get a chance to see (fireworks as a prime example), I'll use a scene mode. If the tool's there, why not use it?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I find it humourous that "full auto is OK" but scene modes are "for the kiddies".
I don't think that such a flagrant contradiction is humourous.
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Real photographers do it all in full manual !

I do like the custom modes on my 5dmkii, have one to set the camera up for a HDR series.
Dangerous though, accidental bumped the dial to it going down the aisle in a wedding and could not figure out what the camera was doing to me for a moment.
Wow! This is the first time i heard someone accidentally bumped the dial. Looks like the "push and turn" dial of the Canon 60D has some utility then.

@JohnG: I don't know why a someone will buy a mid-end DSLR to take pictures of their kids while it's clear that any entry-level DSLR will deliver quality enough. I think that's exactly why the more "advanced" cameras has all those modes, because they want to sell it to people that doesn't actually need it. Btw, I was just expressing my opinion... these days people take everything as personal offense...

@gjtoth: I just think those "tools" aren't that useful.

You know, imho, if you can mix colours to achieve new ones, and has quality paint, why do you need the 145-colours paints bundle? This is for beginners, pros probably will use 12 or less colours.

Regards
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:25 AM   #9

People gets offended very easily in this forum...no matter what I say someone always gets offended.
I thought I made clear that was just my opinion when I wrote "Just my opinion though". You don't have to agree, and It's okay. I don't get offended if you don't think like me. But I'm not trying to offend anyone also, and you don't need to be offended because I have my own opinions and they are different from yours.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:29 AM   #10

It happens occasionally, especially when you have multiple bodies hanging on you.
Canon does offer a fix with a replacement mode dial, but I think it might run in the 300$ range to have done. Never thought it was worth that kind of cash outlay.

Oups am wrong might only be around 125$us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte View Post
Wow! This is the first time i heard someone accidentally bumped the dial. Looks like the "push and turn" dial of the Canon 60D has some utility then.

Last edited by PeterP; Apr 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: update comment
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote