Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:30 PM   #1

Default Kodak 6490 vs Panasonic fz10

Hi everyone,

As the title makes clear, I'm currently trying to decide between the two.

As far as I can see, it's basically:

6490 with low light capability

vs.

fz10 with image stabiliser (and slightly longer zoom, but that's not such a big deal for me).

So I guess my question is, how bad are low-light pics with the fz10? And how bad are max zoom pics taken on the 6490 w/o tripod?

TIA!

Shraga
Shraga18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:00 PM   #2

Go with Kodak because:

1. Twice the megapixels.

2. Great reviews from users on this forum esp re quality of pics and battery life.

3. Camera is relatively rugged.

Just my two cents.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:22 PM   #3

HI Dig,

Actually, the fz10 also has 4mp...
Shraga18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 3:41 PM   #4

They are both 4Mp. I think digcamfan is thinking of the FZ1/2.

The stabilizer is a very desirable feature in a camera with a long zoom. You can get a lot more shots handheld that would require a tripod without stabilization. Even on a bright sunny day you often want to shoot something that is in the shade, and you have a hard time with even that at 10X without stabilization. On an overcast day it is no contest.

It is sunny out and I just went out and aimed my camera set at 10X zoom at a nearby house completely in the shade. The camera metered at f2.8 at 1/60 sec. Using the reciprocal rule you would need about 1/380 second to get that shot with a 10X zoom selected. The Kodak reduces to f3.7 at 10X which would give f3.7 at about 1/30 sec. No way you will get a good shot handheld at that speed and zoom. No problem with my FZ10.

The stabilization works at all other focal lengths as well. You can handhold indoor shots without a flash that you can’t get without stabilization.

Some people like the cradle that comes with the Kodak. I prefer not having it clutter my desktop but it can be handy.

The FZ10 has very good low light capability with the stabilization, but the low light focus leaves a little to be desired. It focuses fine in normal room light and you can see fine through the EVF. Unfortunately the EVF doesn’t show the distance you are focuses at and the EVF doesn’t brighten in low light, so manual focus isn’t much help in very low light. There are tricks like pre-focusing on things with more light and contrast – the difference in ambient light doesn’t make any difference with flash.

You don’t have to buy an expensive dedicated flash and a small automatic flash unit with a bounce head is a good purchase with either camera.

I posted this on another thread and people are probably tired of seeing it. It is a shot taken indoors without flash. Even the most powerful flash wouldn’t have gotten this shot. It is f2.8 and 1/8 second at ISO 200. The shot would have required ISO 800 to get up to 1/30 second with the Kodak, giving a very noisy shot.

I like the FZ10 just fine despite some shortcomings – most of which are shared by the Kodak.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:45 PM   #5

shraga18...Thanks for clarification.

My bad.

Sorry for any misinformation.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote