Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleslong
thanks guys, I think I will end up going with the 6330. Are there anymore suggestions within that 200.00. Also, would it be worth it to go with a 2mp over the 3mp? I will print 8*10's every now and then. Will there be a big difference in image quality between a 2 and 3mp camera?
Charles
For 8X10 you will get better pictures with 3Mp - especially if you crop any.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:38 PM   #12
Administrator

Charles:

What am I missing here?

Both the Kodak DX6330 and the Canon A300 are both 3 megapixel cameras, according to their specifications.

Did you mean the DX6230 versus DX6330?

If not, and you are referring to the slight difference in ouput resolution (2032 x 1524 pixels for the Kodak DX6330, versus 2048 x 1536 for the Canon A300); then this is a negligible difference.

Both should produce good quality 8"x10" photos.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:48 PM   #13

no, they are both 3mp cameras,
I was just wondering if there would be a big enough difference between a 2mp and a 3mp camera.
Would I notice a difference in say a 6230 and 6330?
charleslong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
Quote:
thanks guys, I think I will end up going with the 6330. Are there anymore suggestions within that 200.00. Also, would it be worth it to go with a 2mp over the 3mp? I will print 8*10's every now and then. Will there be a big difference in image quality between a 2 and 3mp camera?
Charles
thanks
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:52 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
I was just wondering if there would be a big enough difference between a 2mp and a 3mp camera.
Yes. Although I have gotten some pretty good 8"x10" prints from an old Nikon Coolpix 950. You can see a noticeable increase in quality from a 3 Megapixel Camera at this print size.

2 Megapixels is "on the border" of acceptable 8"x10" photos with no cropping. Also, you don't have control of JPEG Compression algorithms with the Kodak models in this series, so more resolution is desired to help overcome the affects of compression at larger print sizes.

I'd agree with Slipe. Go with a 3 Megapixel Model.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
Quote:
Charles
with this being said, anything less than an 8X10 should yield the same results between a 6230 and a 6330, am I correct? I am willing to spend the extra money, but it is 50.00 bucks, so if I can save it I will. Oh yeah, I have a new little girl, that was born last monday, so I am wanting to help capture memories for her.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Quote:
Yes. Although I have gotten some pretty good 8"x10" prints from an old Nikon Coolpix 950. You can see a noticeable increase in quality from a 3 Megapixel Camera at this print size.

I'd agree with Slipe. Go with the 3 Megapixel Model.
ok, thanks

sorry, dont mean to seam like im asking the same questions over and over. some of these replys are being posted before answers
charles
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:01 PM   #18
Administrator

IMO, the extra $50.00 is well worth it for the jump from 2 to 3 Megapixels. Kodak does use higher JPEG compression than some other manufacturers. So, the extra resolution can help to offset this.

Here is a chart that may help, too:
http://www.cordcamera.com/products/d...ct_ratios.html
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:02 PM   #19

I also appreciate the very quick responses.
This seems like a very good message board, I will stick around, even after I get my camera. I will let you guys know what I ended up getting. Well, I may as well say, im going to go with a 6300. Is there anything I need to get when I get this camera?
Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:20 PM   #20
Administrator

Yes.

I hate to tell you this, but you'll want to purchase a couple of more things:

1. A set of rechargeable NiMH AA Batteries and a charger. These are available in a variety of prices. Go with the highest capacity batteries you can afford.

Some chargers are smarter than others (some are "quick chargers", while others are "overnight chargers"). Basically, you'll be wasting your money trying to use standard AA Alkalines (since the batteries won't last very long -- the LCD Display simply draws too much power.

The good news is that you can find a charger with 4 NiMH batteries for around $25.00 (not as expensive as you think).

2. The DX6330 does not come with a Memory Card. It has 16mb of internal memory only. This is not much. So, you'll want to purchase a larger Memory Card to allow more photos before you need to download them to your PC. This model uses Secure Digital Cards. They are available in a variety of sizes (and prices).

From looking at the photos on Steve's Sample Photos page from this camera, it appears that photos with lots of detail run a little over 700kb each. So, the 16mb of internal memory is like having a single roll of 24 exposure film (with file sizes varying, depending on the amount of detail in a photo).

I'd suggest buying a larger Secure Digital card (as budget allows), for more photos before the need to download to your PC.

As a general rule, you'll get more mb/dollar in larger sizes - up to around 256mb (then the cost/mb seems to go the other way).

After all, if you're on a weekend trip, you'd carry spare film with a film camera. The same is true for a Digital Camera. You'll want the ability to take more photos when away from your PC.